Tanker Technical Interview Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanker Technical Interview Advice

Hello everyone. After a month of applying for my first Deck Officer role I finally have a technical interview for a tanker company. This is a big opportunity for me and so just wanted to make sure I have all my bases covered by checking in with you guys and gals. I've not worked with liquid cargo before and really don't want to miss something out.

Here's my action plan to prepare:

1. Go over the COLREGS again so I'm up to the orals standard of articulating concise answers to situations.

2. Read up on all my orals notes.

3. Research the company using their website.

4. Check this years M Notices to see if anything relevant/interesting crops up.

5. Read up on tanker specific duties (this is the part that worries me due to a lack of experience in this industry). So far I'm thinking: loading/unloading cargo procedures, ballast operations, when to call the Chief, preparing the deck for cargo and what to do in the event of a spillage.

6. Read up on Marpol, especially Annex I

Can anyone else offer any pearls of wisdom? I want to be as thorough and prepared as possible.

Cheers!
    ???

Thinking back to my one trip as a cadet on a tanker, some things to look at would be:

Voyage cycle of a cargo tank (when is it inerted, when is it not; when does tank cleaning and/or COW happen; how do you gas free safely)
    How does the IG plant work and what are the limits, percentage in the tank, percentage in the supply gas etc. How does the deck seal work?
    Ballancing pressures in the cargo tanks - risks of over and under pressure, how they're mitigated, operation of P/V valves and bullet valves. How does the P/V breaker work

Fire wires - are they recommended or not? There's a definite answer to this these days but some terminals are still a bit backwards about it
    Fire prevention on a tanker - zones - where is a gas free zone, where is an ignition free zone, dangers of various materials of tools on deck (aluminium and steel)
    Dangers of static electricity and how to avoid it
    What is pyrophoric iron sulphide and how does it form?
    Additional fire fighting gear on a tanker - foam monitors with foam tank (what kind of foam and expansion ratio and why)

What kind of tankers are they? If chemical tankers then there's all that to consider too (a lot of chemical tankers actually just carry oil products and the occasional bit of veg oil)
    Various types of pumps and their relative advantages/disadvantages

Take what I've said with a pinch of salt as this was all years ago and I've never done a technical interview, but it should be a good starting point. On my mate's course these were the points that people who'd never been on a tanker were particularly weak on.

Best of luck

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share this. It's definitely appreciated and given me a lot to think about and research.

I forsee a very busy day of studying tomorrow.
      ??

Comment

Also don't forget competency based questions. When did you work as part of a team, deal with a difficult situation, challenge a senior officer etc etc. Have specific examples prepared. You may find they ask you more on these sort of things than the technical aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
          Also don't forget competency based questions. When did you work as part of a team, deal with a difficult situation, challenge a senior officer etc etc. Have specific examples prepared. You may find they ask you more on these sort of things than the technical aspects.
          OK that's great advice too. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Comment

Working...
          X