Insider Knowledge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insider Knowledge

Anyone know of any jobs coming up anywhere suitable for a newly qualified deckie? Seeing mates get jobs at companies that aren't advertising, and it turns out that their mate's nan's daughter in law knew someone or something.

Had a few applications in only to get no response or told great things one week then the complete opposite the next - nothing had changed so a bit of honesty upfront would be nice!

Now just prowling the agencies on a daily basis and trying to find email addresses and write a good cover letter and hope for the best really.

So yeah, if anyone knows of any openings, or companies willing to give people a chance to gain that crucial 6 months, I'd gladly appreciate it!

Thank you

Greg Livermore at Seamariner is a good bet for temp work dude, at least its a foot in a door somewhere.
    Superyacht OOW
    SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
    Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

TK have taken on a load of newly qualified officers. They have stopped recruitment for now I think. However, they have many more new ships coming so there will probably be another load of jobs coming up at some point. How soon that will be I don't know.

Comment

Also, have you tried the wind farm vessels? My mate got a temp job there and was then offered full time. Turned it down though as he had secured another job by then.

Comment

Thank you, one of of my mates got in with teekay, but he had tanker endorsements as an ex BP cadet. I looked at wind farm work, but a lot seem to want AEC and slinger/banksman qualifications too?

Comment

Is he called Alasdair by any chance?

They only started asking for tanker endorsements with the latest recruits. Before that they were taking on folk that hadn't even passed the orals yet so hopefully if they have another intake you'll get an interview.

Comment

He is... do we have friends in common?

I'll definitely bear them in mind, thank you!

Comment

It’s a case of applying to everyone and everything whether they are advertising or not, following up with phone calls and keep following up. Build up a relationship with the agencies and HR managers so that they know you are someone with bags packed and ready to go at a moments notice. My second job after I got my OOW CoC was an email at about 10am for flight details from Heathrow at 4pm, I called up the company to be told “oh yeah we forgot to tell you that you’ve got the job, you said you were ready right?” Generally whoever shouts the loudest (or calls the most) gets the job.

Comment

As for networking, the Honourable Company of Master Mariners is very good for putting the newly qualified in touch with the right people. So well worth joining up, as long as you stand wearing a jacket and tie, and have the ability to eat a formal dinner without covering yourself in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
                    He is... do we have friends in common?

I'll definitely bear them in mind, thank you!
                    Was on an ECDIS course with him last week.

Comment

Thanks YM! I have a list of all the applications I’ve made and the date, so i’ll start going back through them and following up!

Comment

The MCA produce a regularly M Notice of all the approved manning agencies (MLC requirement: Chief Mate's revision coming in handy) so just make sure you're signed up to all of them. Good luck

Comment

The latest list of approved recruitment and placement agencies: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tent=immediate

Comment

Thank you, been through all them, just to wait and see now!

Comment

Working...
                            X