Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Lng

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lng

Will it be hard to break into the LNG side of tanker shipping for someone with an oil based background?

The companies that manage/ own LNG tankers, BP, Teekay etc take on junior level engineers with no previous oil/ gas experience so your answer is no. I've met guys with container back grounds now working on oil/ gas with the above named companies.

hope this helps
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Straight out of their cadetship or time served as an officer?

Comment

Straight out of a cadetship. I know of quite a few folk who went straight to Teekay without prior experience on tankers and met a guy during a dangerous cargo fire fighting course (forget the exact name of the course) who done his cadetship on container ships and had been accepted as an additional 4th engineer with BP
        Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Once you've got a couple of trips under your belt as a 4th and with a possitive attitude, it should not be too difficult to move onto LNG. You often see job adverts looking for LPG experienced officers to cross-over to LNG, but once or twice I've seen adverts specifically looking for junior and senior oil tanker officers to cross-over. Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X