No announcement yet.

I'm only a first phase cadet and I'm starting to panic about jobs at the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm only a first phase cadet and I'm starting to panic about jobs at the end

I am perhaps being a bit silly but any advice would be appreciated.

I am a first phase cadet at Glasgow and have been reliably informed that my sponsoring company, Zodiac, don't retain any British Deck Officers post cadetship and are in the cadet thing solely for the tax break. This has caused a slight panic as I have had an abortive career before. I am now kicking myself for not applying through a BP cadetship or doing it early enough for someone reliable like CalMac or Northern Marine.

Guys, what can I do, as a cadet, to make myself as employable as possible? I know i am at the very start of things, not due to finish the cadetship till 2020 and perhaps being daft but I'd appreciate your tips and experience.

I don't think that is the case with zodiac anymore. I heard recently that they've started to offer employment post cadetship and have seen on LinkedIn British third mates with zodiac. You have 3 years left and wouldn't worry. Concern yourself more with passing your exams and completing your TRB/ work book to a high standard. The industry, in terms of employment, could be completely different in 3 years.
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Thanks for that. Just what I needed. I understand the need to be realistic about prospects but perhaps I was just overreacting a little.

Comment

Chiltern now do some Zodiac and they seem quite professional and keen to get you employment afterwards

Comment

I had the same worries but before I had even passed my orals I had an offer from an LNG company, along with about another 15 cadets I know of. Fairly put the pressure on as the job offer was subject to passing the orals first time. All of us had different ship types for our cadetship but not one of us had LNG experience. Didn't matter to them. Just been through a load of courses now and off to sea in a month!

A few others I know have also secured jobs with other companies so things aren't as bad as they seem when it comes to jobs.

Comment

Can I ask you to PM me the name of the company? I'm a recently qualified OOW just returning from my first 4 months in rank (dry cargo) and have a basic LNG course booked. Would be great to know some companies that hire without DCE.

Cheers

Comment

Well my advice is not to worry just yet. I was a cadet with Zodiac and when I started I was told I would very likely be offered a job with them at the end. Then at the end of my cadetship the industry went into a slump and there was no job for me. My point is, things might and probably will change. The issue of cadets being taken on just for tax breaks is being discussed more and more and there might be a change in the rules regarding offering work once you pass out. But don't worry about that for now. Just think about the training, pass the exams, complete the TRB and write the reports that go along with it and hopefully you should be ok.

Comment

Don't Panic, Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring. The jobs are out there, you just have to look for them. Get on LinkedIn, connect with professionals in the industry. Spend a bit of time to drop connections a message, thank them for accepting your request and let them know that you are training and would appreciate details on where you could potentially apply to work for them in the future. At best you may get an email address to send a C.V. to. At worst you'll stand out as taken the time to send them a polite mail. Little things like that go a long way in our industry. You never know when your paths may cross but believe me its a funny world. Keep an eye out on the web, jobs for offshore V/Ls are starting to appear, contracts for vessels are starting to pick up too. Things are looking up!

Comment

I wouldn't worry OP. I have sailed with a Captain, 3rd Engineer and a 3rd Officer all of whom were from the UK and had completed their cadetship with Zodiac. Heard through the grapevine that there is a number of British officers employed by Zodiac too.
                  So there is hope.

Comment

I would be very wary of choosing this career at the present. With just shy of twelve months seatime I still struggled to find employment. As a last resort I ended up joining the RFA, though I'm looking to leave ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDog_84 View Post
                      I would be very wary of choosing this career at the present. With just shy of twelve months seatime I still struggled to find employment. As a last resort I ended up joining the RFA, though I'm looking to leave ASAP.

What is wrong with the RFA? I've heard that some gobby ABs and the pomp can be hard to deal with.

Now is not a good time to enter the marine industry as cadet with the collapse of OSV job market. People are mis-sold the dream of working on big ships deep sea in exotic ports earning loads of tax free money and great career progression, but in reality they're ending up on likes of wind farm crew transfer vessels if they're lucky, no disrespect to that vessel type, but the money isn't the best and there's not much career progression. There are many able people that would have probably have chosen a different career path and not wasted a few years of their life if they'd know the truth that good jobs are few and far between. You hear old timers that have got lucky and had a good career saying that people have been saying since the 1960s that there are few jobs for UK people, but now has to be as bad as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by gl3483 View Post
                        I had the same worries but before I had even passed my orals I had an offer from an LNG company, along with about another 15 cadets I know of. Fairly put the pressure on as the job offer was subject to passing the orals first time. All of us had different ship types for our cadetship but not one of us had LNG experience. Didn't matter to them. Just been through a load of courses now and off to sea in a month!

A few others I know have also secured jobs with other companies so things aren't as bad as they seem when it comes to jobs.
                        Which LNG company was this?

Comment

Well bloody hell, us aspiring cadets may as well give up then eh?

It is what you make of it. It may very well be tricky to secure a job if your sponsor does not employ you afterwards, but by no means impossible. I guess it depends on how badly you want it. For me, the thought of working in coffee shops for the rest of my life is quite enough to grab any opportunity that comes up (no offence to those that work in coffee shops currently lol). I find that a cynical attitude only serves to close doors, rather than open them. That's just like, my opinion man.

Comment

Riker, as an aspiring cadet I'd fully suggest listening to people actually working qualified in the industry, as they have the experience of that job hunt. It is all well and good being positive, but your opinion smacks of naivety. You can want a job for all the world, but if the company doesn't want you (such as in many parts of the industry currently), what are you to do?

It's this sort of attitude companies who employ cadets prey on, and pumps out a mass of newly qualified officers without jobs and little prospect. This is not being cynical but being realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by GarnetWomack View Post
                              What is wrong with the RFA? I've heard that some gobby ABs and the pomp can be hard to deal with.

Now is not a good time to enter the marine industry as cadet with the collapse of OSV job market. People are mis-sold the dream of working on big ships deep sea in exotic ports earning loads of tax free money and great career progression, but in reality they're ending up on likes of wind farm crew transfer vessels if they're lucky, no disrespect to that vessel type, but the money isn't the best and there's not much career progression. There are many able people that would have probably have chosen a different career path and not wasted a few years of their life if they'd know the truth that good jobs are few and far between. You hear old timers that have got lucky and had a good career saying that people have been saying since the 1960s that there are few jobs for UK people, but now has to be as bad as ever.
                              It's really not my cup of tea, it's more military than civilian. The role is very different from a commercial job. There's a huge amount of money wasted, and huge amounts of bull****. Don't forget, the RFA is essentialy a branch of the civil service, I'm technically an MOD civil servant. Progression for deck officers is also incredibly slow. Heaven forbid I sit down on the bridge for five minutes. One Captain was telling me how it's extremally important to get the flag up/down, lights on/off at sunrise and sunset..... Oh don't call the Captain "Captain" if you're an officer, that is a slight. Call them "Sir"....... If I had wanted the join the Royal Navy I would have, but I didn't. Most (but not all) lateral entries I've met are looking to leave.

That said I get my paycheck every month and when there's little work about I can't knock 'em for that!

Comment

Working...
                              X