Concerned at the amount of unenployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gl3483 View Post
    This may be a daft question but can we apply for a job as an AB after passing our orals or would we require more sea time or different certificates?
    You could, but there are plenty of people applying for AB positions and jobs for British AB's are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
      Care to add anymore companies to that list agibbs98
      Only one I'd add is Trinity House. They are unlikely to give you a job but a cadet ship with them would leave you in a good position when job hunting.

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware. There's very few jobs going anywhere. I was just curious as some guys were saying yes and some saying no. Cheers.

Comment

For every company you name that hire their cadets once qualified, there can be three named that don't.

It's not just a case of there's no jobs today but there will be tomorrow. Company's operating deep sea aren't interested in British Officers, the oil industry is on its arse and will likely never return to the boom period of 90/00s and even the cruise sector's now reluctant to recruit British Officers in favour for our Eastern counterparts.

You look at recruitment websites that show the number of applicants per position and it's literally in to the hundreds. So yeah, you get the odd job popping up but for every successful applicant there's hundreds of disappointed souls left sitting at home staring at their COC, wondering if all those months at sea eating nothing but chappatis for weeks on end was really worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
            Train with a good company and you'll get a job. I know these companies hire all of their cadets assuming they're not awful: P&O Ferries, Maersk, BP, Wightlink, Red Funnel, Pritchard Gordon, Shell, RFA, P&O Cruises/Carnival, Whitaker's tankers, Stena, CalMac.

The people struggling for jobs are most likely Zodiac Maritime cadets etc.
            Calmac only manage to offer less than 40% of their cadets a position after qualifying

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
              Calmac only manage to offer less than 40% of their cadets a position after qualifying
              That's strange, everyone I knew (engineers) training with CalMac got the job, I must have only known the <40% or times have rapidly changed.

Comment

Cross channel ferries were looking for AB's a few weeks ago for sport work I.e a couple of weeks a month and paying ?170-?250 a day doe. There are lots of jobs out there. Just apply to everyone and anyone. If a company offers you an OOW trip at reduced wages I would take it. I was lucky and got offered a 2/O job after I got my ticket but they were going to give me a 3/O trip on cadet wages so I could get a stamp in my book and get on the ladder so to speak.

Comment

We get a few motormen and ABs on the cross channel ferries that possess an OOW ticket, some deck OOWs even go for steward jobs in the hope of getting recognition/progression into a relevant role.

To make use of going for an AB job you best be an excellent AB, because if they make you look bad then they definitely won't want you driving the thing.

Comment

Christ on a bike, if you can't see the irony in the last two comments then you're part of the problem.

Doctors don't qualify as doctors then have to take up positions as a nurse to show they're competent or eager or whatever HR adjective you want to through in front of it. Prospective cadets are lied to at the interview/pre-joining stage about their career opportunities and demand for their trade, to deny that is just ridiculous. There aren't plenty of jobs out there, what a completely stupid statement to make, if that were the case we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Comment

Originally posted by stumobir View Post
                      There aren't plenty of jobs out there, what a completely stupid statement to make, if that were the case we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
                      The jobs do exist, it the lack of vacancies that is the problem. The majority of Cadets trained are taken on by their sponsor, the issue is those that are trained by a sponsor who has no intention of offering employment (Tonnage Tax) or those directly affected by the current decline in offshore activity (lay-ups / redundancies).

Comment

The off shore you can't really do much about..but is their a flaw in the tonnage tax system then to allow this

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                          The jobs do exist, it the lack of vacancies that is the problem. The majority of Cadets trained are taken on by their sponsor, the issue is those that are trained by a sponsor who has no intention of offering employment (Tonnage Tax) or those directly affected by the current decline in offshore activity (lay-ups / redundancies).

The majority of cadets are NOT taken by their sponsoring company . Only BP and RFA give a 100% guarantee to recruit their cadets after cadetship.

Some companies may recruit you if you are lucky, but they definitely don't recruit all of their cadets ( Maersk, Fishers, Carnival , Princess, Whitakers, Pritchard Gordon, OOCL , V ships...)

Clyde marine and SSTG togheter sponsor more than half of UK cadets , they work mostly with tonnage tax companies with no chance of job at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ratguardking View Post
                            The majority of cadets are NOT taken by their sponsoring company . Only BP and RFA give a 100% guarantee to recruit their cadets after cadetship.

Some companies may recruit you if you are lucky, but they definitely don't recruit all of their cadets ( Maersk, Fishers, Carnival , Princess, Whitakers, Pritchard Gordon, OOCL , V ships...)

Clyde marine and SSTG togheter sponsor more than half of UK cadets , they work mostly with tonnage tax companies with no chance of job at the end.
                            We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't automatically link being in UK Tonnage Tax as a negative, those with a relatively small fleet will see it as more cost effective to use SSTG, Clyde, Chiltern to handle all the administration that comes with sponsoring UK Cadets.

According to one of the 'big 4' Nautical Colleges, less than 4% of those who passed the academic award in 2015 were without employment within 6 months. Admittedly they couldn't reach all who passed the HNC/HND/FD, but the survey was administered externally.

Maersk have offered employment to all graduating Cadets since 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
                              The off shore you can't really do much about..but is their a flaw in the tonnage tax system then to allow this
                              I wouldn't say it's a flaw, but the present system and Core Training Commitment is over 10 years old now. On the plus side there are proposals to make the training (and therefore potential employment) more cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                                The jobs do exist, it the lack of vacancies that is the problem.
                                Isnt this a contradiction in one sentence? Or do you mean there are jobs out there performed by OOWs but not open positions available? In which case how is your statement a counter argument...

Comment

Working...
                                X