Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned at the amount of unenployment

Hi All,

Seems like there's alot of young, ambitious, newly finished cadets who are struggling to find work. It would seem daft for these shipping companies to pay for three years of training, take you under their wing, just to get rid of you. I raise this concern because i'm currently applying for a few different companies such as BP, Shell, RFA and whilst they are some of the more popular choices, I'm concerned that some of the certain companies (Such as ones that use agancies) will simply get rid of you after the cadetship is complete. I currently am a design engineer who has already done an apprenticeship; I need to know about my job security if i am to take a pay cut in order to become a cadet.

Thoughts anyone?

That's a toughie....some would say only those seeking that don't get jobs are visible...others that it's bad

Comment

it's slim pickings but if you already had a trade I say go for the cadetship and you atleast have something to fall back on if you can't find work at the end.

Comment

How knows what the job market will after you finished your cadetship

Comment

You are already concerned about unemployement before even starting to apply for a cadetship , i would say stick on to your current job.

Comment

Don't do it mate. It's a joke that training companies and colleges are still pushing the lie that there's plenty of jobs out there and that you'll be in high demand once qualified.

The hard reality is, jobs are few and far between. All the positions I'm seeing now are for junior positions but require higher tickets, it's an employers market and they know they'll get the applicants. And even these positions are offering pretty **** pay and conditions. British seafaring days are numbered, you'll get some of the old guard on here telling you jobs are there and you need to knock on doors for them, it's all bull**** denial. I know of scores of people who've left the industry completely since they've finished their training, not before spending six months on the dole though chasing these non-existant jobs that we were all promised.

Comment

Originally posted by stumobir View Post
              Don't do it mate. It's a joke that training companies and colleges are still pushing the lie that there's plenty of jobs out there and that you'll be in high demand once qualified.

The hard reality is, jobs are few and far between. All the positions I'm seeing now are for junior positions but require higher tickets, it's an employers market and they know they'll get the applicants. And even these positions are offering pretty **** pay and conditions. British seafaring days are numbered, you'll get some of the old guard on here telling you jobs are there and you need to knock on doors for them, it's all bull**** denial. I know of scores of people who've left the industry completely since they've finished their training, not before spending six months on the dole though chasing these non-existant jobs that we were all promised.
              Tottaly agree, if you have a job that as paying you at the moment you'd be nuts to leave it in the hope that you are one of the very few cadets able to get job after qualifying.

Comment

The market is dire at the moment.

There could be changes in the future , but this will require new regulations to protect uk jobs, and i'm not sure our government is willing to help us out.

If nothing is done , there will be no point in having 4 nautical colleges in this country, 2 colleges will be more than enough.

I see still far too many cadets entering this course, there has to be a reduction in the number of cadets to reduce competition and actually give a greater chance to those who qualify to work at sea.

Comment

Well this thread is awfully depressing

Comment

There will be jobs available, just need to wait for a while or search more.

We just had a guy who joined the company stating he was searching for 4 months and got nothing. All of a sudden (within the space of a week) he had 3 job offers.

Time to exercise patience.
                    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
                    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

One of the old guard is telling you that there aren't a fixed number of jobs available over a given time period. Sometimes there are lots of jobs - sometimes there aren't. It depends on many things, the recent drop in price of oil and the decimation of offshore jobs being a prime example. Jobs come, jobs go. If you're expecting a guarantee then you're going to be very disappointed.
                      io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                        One of the old guard is telling you that there aren't a fixed number of jobs available over a given time period. Sometimes there are lots of jobs - sometimes there aren't. It depends on many things, the recent drop in price of oil and the decimation of offshore jobs being a prime example. Jobs come, jobs go. If you're expecting a guarantee then you're going to be very disappointed.
                        But there has been a steady decline in the number of jobs available to brits at sea over the last 8 years.

Comment

Train with a good company and you'll get a job. I know these companies hire all of their cadets assuming they're not awful: P&O Ferries, Maersk, BP, Wightlink, Red Funnel, Pritchard Gordon, Shell, RFA, P&O Cruises/Carnival, Whitaker's tankers, Stena, CalMac.

The people struggling for jobs are most likely Zodiac Maritime cadets etc.

Comment

Care to add anymore companies to that list agibbs98

Comment

This may be a daft question but can we apply for a job as an AB after passing our orals or would we require more sea time or different certificates?

Comment

Working...
                              X