Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a change of career. Advice required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a change of career. Advice required!

Hello there!

To start with my introduction i am a 32 year old network tech/spec without any formal schooling or certs.
    I have grown tired of offices and clueless demanding clients and am looking towards maritime electrician as a new career choice.

I have an affinity for that line of work and am enamored with the idea of working as a maritime electrician.

I do have a family who support my longing to change my career and i have already applied toward the AP M?ller / Maersk engineering cadet program.
    I have little in the way of formal schooling but have been working since i was 17.

So i guess my questions are as follows:

1: Am i insane to do this at this age ?
    2: Do i have a realistic chance of having my application accepted ?
    3: What does the Maersk Cadet program include (details are hazy and google is not helping) ?
    4: Any other advice / criticism you might have.

Best regards,
    MoravianViking.

EDIT #1: Should have been a little bit clearer on this, not a UK citizen - Scandinavian living in central europe actually. Do have what equates to some GCSEs or A - levels (Finished "High school" and have 70 credits from College / Secondary school).

I can't really talk about modern recruitment practices but I went to sea after a casual conversation with a college lecturer during the summer holidays. I had three O levels to my name. I was 23. I'm very glad I made the effort.

Do i!
    io parlo morse

Comment

Unfortunately, all cadet programmes require a minimum of 5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English for the HND and 2 A Levels A*-C for the FD. If it is something you're serious about, I would suggest that you find some way of attaining some official qualifications
      Anglo-Eastern Cadet sponsored by DAO Shipping. I also like steam engines.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiranNewberry View Post
        Unfortunately, all cadet programmes require a minimum of 5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English for the HND and 2 A Levels A*-C for the FD. If it is something you're serious about, I would suggest that you find some way of attaining some official qualifications
        I think i do have the equivalent to some GCSEs or A - levels, see edit to original post.

Comment

If you are not living in the UK then you would need to either apply for a cadetship through your country of residence or your home country, unfortunately most people on here wouldn’t know the requirements for those countries as we are mostly UK based.

I would suggest contacting companies who take electrical cadets in the country where you live and in the country where you are from and seeing if they can provide you with more information.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
            If you are not living in the UK then you would need to either apply for a cadetship through your country of residence or your home country, unfortunately most people on here wouldn’t know the requirements for those countries as we are mostly UK based.

I would suggest contacting companies who take electrical cadets in the country where you live and in the country where you are from and seeing if they can provide you with more information.
            I am willing to relocate anywhere in western or northern europe and any advice, no matter how general, is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by MoravianViking View Post
              I am willing to relocate anywhere in western or northern europe and any advice, no matter how general, is appreciated.
              Unfortunately this is not enough to qualify under UK rules for a cadetship. The Government provides funding that has conditions attached. To qualify you have to be a British Citizen or qualify through residency rules and have lived in the country for a year before applying.

Hope this helps.

Ian
              "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
              "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Not quite right Hatchorder here is the updated version.

See the following , para 8
                https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...106/mgn455.pdf
                Briefly as follows.
                Eligibility
                Training Providers (shipping companies) who sponsor the seafarers are eligible to apply for assistance.

To be eligible for SMarT funding, a trainee must be:

a national of a Member State of the European Economic Area, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man;
                ordinarily resident in England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland (support under SMarT will not be paid in respect of overseas nationals who are subject to employment restrictions and/or a time limit on their stay). This requirement must be met by all applicants who are qualifying nationals; and
                proficient in spoken and written English and must state an intention to be ordinarily resident in the UK following completion of their training.

Comment

Working...
                X