X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clanky
    replied
    Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
    whats wrong with using the zoom on the camera's ;-) any reasoon you wanted kenter and not bow, I used to bot bow's at the cheeck and work round it
    It was going on over our work wire and a bow shackle under tension can damage the wire. We tend to only put smooth links on if it is going to be heaved onto the drum.

Leave a comment:

• cableguy
    replied
    Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
    Thanks! That's really useful info, and not a lecture at all I'll certainly have a crack at it, thanks
    You're welcome, no problem at all, and don't hesitate to fire any other questions my way.

Leave a comment:

• cableguy
    replied
    Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    Filthy Man. (Actually I can't help having a little snigger to myself every time people talk about DP. Cos I'm so grown up and mature...)
    I remember the first time I ever heard of Dynamic Positioning was in a NARAS-O lecture at Fleetwood in "the loft". The lecturer (think it was one Ian McCormac (SP?)) was talking about DP and I couple of the lads were sitting in the corner sniggering.........to my shame it took me about 5 minutes to clock on to it!

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied
    whats wrong with using the zoom on the camera's ;-) any reasoon you wanted kenter and not bow, I used to bot bow's at the cheeck and work round it

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    On the subject of sniggering and childishness, it turns out I can lip read in Glaswegian.

I was using the binoculars to check that two bits of wire jad been joined with a kenter shackle and not a bow shackle before I heaved them onto the anchor handling winch last week when I happened to catch the 2nd mate saying "ahm f**kin' soakin'" (it was pouring with rain).

The look on her face when I saod over the radio "yeah, and not in a good way either, ********" was priceless, she was checking her radio to see if she had been transmitting and then asking all the others if they had been.

I'm still not sure that she believes that I saw what she said through the binoculars.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
    Oh..

I always thought it was.......

Never mind...

Good job S4R is not about!

Ian
    Filthy Man. (Actually I can't help having a little snigger to myself every time people talk about DP. Cos I'm so grown up and mature...)

Leave a comment:

• HarmlessWeasel
    replied
    Originally posted by cableguy View Post
    Hi Harmless,

Thanks for the welcome.

This is probably one of the questions I get asked most by other deckies and unfortunately there is no hard and fast answer. Unfortunately this is a brilliant example of catch 22 at the moment. You can't get DP time without a certificate, and you can't get a certificate with out DP time.

I think the best thing in the short term is certainly push to see if you can get on a DP ship before the end of your cadetship, it can't do you any harm, and even if the only thing you walk away with is knowing if you can/can't take the particular routines of a DP vessel then that's better than nothing.

Then once you've qualified (and you still want to be a DPO) push to get a contract with a company with DP vessels. As you may be aware no one can get a DP cert these days without a CoC so you won't be ahead or behind your peers, but what you might find is that to get a role in a DP company with no DP cert you would have to take a hit on terms and conditions on that first job, but then you've got a foot in the door towards DP. Alternatively see if you can find any companies with DP vessels that don't require DP certs for junior officers, the best example is Global Marine Systems (and they are how I managed to do it).

Another thing that may help you is paying for your own DP Induction course. The price is a little high, no doubt, but once you factor in day rates of DPOs you will realise that the cost will be covered with just a few days work. However this will be no guarantee, but it could help.

In the end of the day, whilst it may seem a very tough nut to crack you've just got to remember that more and more DP vessels are being built and that the average age of DPOs are on the rise, meaning that new blood has to come from some where.

Just keep on hammering away, try and get that time on a DP vessel as a cadet, and then when qualified hunt around all the offshore companies putting out as many CVs as you can.

I wish you the best of luck and enjoy!

Cheers,

Greg

p.s. sorry that sounds like a bit of a lecture, but happy to help with this and any other questions.
    Thanks! That's really useful info, and not a lecture at all I'll certainly have a crack at it, thanks

Leave a comment:

• endure
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    Dynamic positioning vessel...
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    Oh..

I always thought it was.......

Never mind...

Good job S4R is not about!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    Hi Greg, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the degree.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by endure View Post
    Hi and welcome. I have to ask - what's a DP ship?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• endure
    replied
    Hi and welcome. I have to ask - what's a DP ship?

Leave a comment:

• cableguy
    replied
    and thanks for the welcome size4!

Leave a comment:

• cableguy
    replied
    Hi Harmless,

Thanks for the welcome.

This is probably one of the questions I get asked most by other deckies and unfortunately there is no hard and fast answer. Unfortunately this is a brilliant example of catch 22 at the moment. You can't get DP time without a certificate, and you can't get a certificate with out DP time.

I think the best thing in the short term is certainly push to see if you can get on a DP ship before the end of your cadetship, it can't do you any harm, and even if the only thing you walk away with is knowing if you can/can't take the particular routines of a DP vessel then that's better than nothing.

Then once you've qualified (and you still want to be a DPO) push to get a contract with a company with DP vessels. As you may be aware no one can get a DP cert these days without a CoC so you won't be ahead or behind your peers, but what you might find is that to get a role in a DP company with no DP cert you would have to take a hit on terms and conditions on that first job, but then you've got a foot in the door towards DP. Alternatively see if you can find any companies with DP vessels that don't require DP certs for junior officers, the best example is Global Marine Systems (and they are how I managed to do it).

Another thing that may help you is paying for your own DP Induction course. The price is a little high, no doubt, but once you factor in day rates of DPOs you will realise that the cost will be covered with just a few days work. However this will be no guarantee, but it could help.

In the end of the day, whilst it may seem a very tough nut to crack you've just got to remember that more and more DP vessels are being built and that the average age of DPOs are on the rise, meaning that new blood has to come from some where.

Just keep on hammering away, try and get that time on a DP vessel as a cadet, and then when qualified hunt around all the offshore companies putting out as many CVs as you can.

I wish you the best of luck and enjoy!

Cheers,

Greg

p.s. sorry that sounds like a bit of a lecture, but happy to help with this and any other questions.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    Hello and welcome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X