Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Hi everyone,

My name is Scott and I'm from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I'm 28 and I've been looking into the Merchant Navy for the past year and this is the year I'm going to make it happen. I know starting a new career at this age will bring its own challenges but I am also coming to this with much life experience. Wish me luck and thanks in advance for any questions answered.

Hi Scott,

I'm 25 and in a similar situation looking for a career change and a new challenge.
    Good luck!

Emma

Comment

Welcome to the forum Scott, hope you find it useful.

There are more and more people who are entering the industry a little older than what used to be traditional, and many companies are realising that there is a lot of benefit to employing older cadets. Good luck.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Welcome Scott and good luck!

Comment

Well it took long enough but I finally got round to getting my ENG1. That's one hurdle crossed!!

Comment

Hey Scott! I'm from Bangor, Northern Ireland and won a sponsorship with Maersk a couple of months back. Best of luck, hope it all works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Baxter1992;85290]Hey Scott! I'm from Bangor, Northern Ireland and won a sponsorship with Maersk a couple of months back. Best of luck, hope it all works out for you!"

I've actually been considering Maersk as a possible sponsor, how have you found dealing with them thus far?
              Last edited by Scott; 25 August 2014, 10:53 PM. Reason: Quotation error

Comment

How is your own application process going Scott?
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

I've found Maersk brilliant. I'm actually just back from an induction they ran for us in the Lake District which was really useful. They've stayed in touch the whole time from when I got in to present. Definitely apply to them! Though they've only got a September intake so I don't think the application process for next year is open yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It most likely is. At our induction we were told they already had over 700 odd criteria meeting applications for the following year!

Comment

@kbaxter & @ harmless, thanks for the great advice. My plan is to apply to as many companies as possible with a mind to starting in September '15. @clanky my application process started with getting the ENG1 as I have a medical condition that I thought might prove problematic, however it turned out to be not an issue. So the application process is about to get knocked in second or even third gear!

Comment

Working...
                      X