No announcement yet.

Lurker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But he's only in the Irish Sea - still coastal.......?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma Goose View Post
      But he's only in the Irish Sea - still coastal.......?
      There's a section on marine traffic about it, which knows significantly more than I do, I'd suggest you look at that!

It could be to do with where the stations are located too. He could be relatively close to land, but still be out of range of a receiver.

Someone with better knowledge of AIS will be able to explain it better, but it could be to do with the weather too, or the height of the swell as I understand it....

What sort of vessel is he on?
      Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nuclear fuel carrier - not that big - 104m

Comment

Nuclear fuel carrier - not that big - 104m
          It could be that it's turned off for some reason then I guess, you're allowed to in certain circumstances I think I read somewhere?

Comment

There's Pacific Heron moored in Barrow In Furness as of 9 minutes ago, if that's the ship you're looking for...

Comment

No but similar! - thanks for your help! Hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow.

Comment

Another non sea-faring parent here who just wishes they had known about this career a few years ago. I did nursing so I could travel and loved the job and did travel a lot. My oldest son started out by knowing that he didn't want a desk job and wanted to travel. Pure chance that we came across the merchant navy and it ticked all the boxes. So far so good but now he's headed out on first sea phase today right into a force 9 up scaling to a 12 if the forecasts are true. I'm trying to track on marinetraffic.com but no updates since midday - can anyone tell me why there is such a delay? Trying to keep rational but forgive me for feeling a tad anxious!!
                Marine Traffic and similar sites use AIS or automatic identification system, this uses VHF radio signals to send ships positions and other info. This is basically "line of sight" technology so when the ship is too far from land for the signal to be received by a shore station then the position won't be updated, I was just east of Mauritius for a week and a half last trip.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

No but similar! - thanks for your help! Hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow.
                  AIS even when they are quite close doesn't always work depends on the signal just think mobile phone and how the signal can vary and it's a bit like that really. Have you got the name right? Marine traffic has changed and the search list isn't as clear as it used to be normally you can at lest find the last reported position, haven't used it for ages to see how it's working though.

The first trip is a worry you don't know what to expect you hope they are enjoying it. I suppose its a first test of the career for them. Whilst they are on land and away from home its not a worry as you could if needed ( accident that sort of thing) get there ( it's the knowing you are able to security) however the sea is a different matter, which is what makes the difference.
                  As for the weather well we all hope they keep safe out there, its the nature of the job there will be storms.
                  Lots stay in sheltered places and wait if its too bad I see a few around here more than normal this winter just waiting for the conditions to improve and off they go. Tends to be the smaller vessels around here.

Hopefully he'll be in touch, when a). He remembers ! 2. When he's found out how it works on the ship if its ship email and out of mobile range. 3. When he wants something !
                  I can have a search on marine traffic if you pm a name if you like.

This parenting malarkey, not supplied with a manual or instructions we just learn as we go along and do our best. However old they are I bet we will still worry!

Comment

Just to say I have pm 'd you but got a reply to say you've chosen not to receive pms. Not sure if it's an error but thought you might like to know!

Comment

Just to say I have pm 'd you but got a reply to say you've chosen not to receive pms. Not sure if it's an error but thought you might like to know!
                      You can now. Must have changed it and forgotten - age!

Comment

Yeah, I had the same message when you Pm'ed me a few months back and I tried ti reply, I just assumed you didn't want replies though so never mentioned it :P The thing with the distance might be an issue, if the ship is say more than 30 miles away from a receiving station it'll stop working, but also with it being a nuclear ship they may turn the AIS off for security reasons. Not a good idea to stick a beacon on yourself which says " I'm carrying nuclear stuff and i'm in this position" So I wouldn't worry about it. Put it this way, if anything had happened to a nuclear carrying ship, it'd be all over the news by now :P

Comment

Also a lot of the recievers are done by ship spotting geeks feeding the system. ....if the weather is bad abd power is off then such people might be worrying about other stuff
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Fjords seemed to make differences too no signals there either which is not surprising.
                            Well you can all message me now, ☺

Comment

As Chiefy points out, the 'free' AIS/position data on MarineTraffic is provided through a network of receiver stations operated by volunteers/hobbyists. The transponder signals are on VHF, so normally only stations with 20-60nm of the receiver will be available depending on antenna height and quality of equipment. So you will generally only be able to see information on ships near coastal in areas where a volunteer/hobbyist has setup a receiver. This is the same way as many of the free aircraft tracker websites work (ADS-B signals).
                              The networks expanding rapidly. There is also a paid for service which operates using satellites which monitor AIS with near global coverage.

As an aside, I have seen AIS signals exceed 1000nm range when atmospheric conditions have been conducive.

Comment

Thanks all for your info - it would appear that the AIS transmitter on the ship is broken (if that is the right way of saying it!) and they are trying to fix it, but I'm in reasonable contact now and know more what to expect thanks to all the responses. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X