Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lurker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lurker

    Hi As a long time lurking parent, decided to finally register. This website has been invaluable in helping to prepare my son for the application process for his cadetship.
    I would like to thank everybody who has put up helpful information, as he has been successful in his application. Good luck to all the other applicants, use this site there's so much
    quality information.
    The ferryman

  • #2
    Originally posted by the ferryman View Post
    Hi As a long time lurking parent, decided to finally register. This website has been invaluable in helping to prepare my son for the application process for his cadetship.
    I would like to thank everybody who has put up helpful information, as he has been successful in his application. Good luck to all the other applicants, use this site there's so much
    quality information.
    The ferryman
    Hello and welcome...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

    All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome to the forum, glad you have found it useful. Great to see a few more parents joining up.
      Go out, do stuff

      Comment


      • #4
        No problem, the forum really helped in so many ways. I'm sure more to come leading up to September and beyond.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by the ferryman View Post
          No problem, the forum really helped in so many ways. I'm sure more to come leading up to September and beyond.

          It is very useful and no doubt the lists of what to take to sea will too. It gives you quite an insight into the shipping world as you go along, and at least you have a very basic understanding of what they are talking about when your cadet gets a bit technical, and its not all mumbo jumbo, though some of it still is!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Clanky View Post
            Welcome to the forum, glad you have found it useful. Great to see a few more parents joining up.

            What are you doing on here Clanky shouldn't you be preparing for your big day? Oh I do hope you made provision in your luggage for the mementos that will be purchased before you come back, and the gifts etc.

            Don't think my other half bargained on the large and medium sized wooden elephants, that travelled errr hand luggage !

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome to the forum. It's great that you are involved and supporting your child's application (I hid mine from my parents because I knew they would never approve and only told them a few days before I had to go to college and joined a ship 6 weeks later...).

              Feel free to ask any questions, the members here will all try hard to answer everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                Welcome to the forum. It's great that you are involved and supporting your child's application (I hid mine from my parents because I knew they would never approve and only told them a few days before I had to go to college and joined a ship 6 weeks later...).

                Feel free to ask any questions, the members here will all try hard to answer everything.
                Oh no I'm delighted he will be embarking on a good career path. Not easy these days, mind you the fact he won't have debts from university is also a big plus factor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Which company is he sponsored by?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Midge View Post
                    What are you doing on here Clanky shouldn't you be preparing for your big day? Oh I do hope you made provision in your luggage for the mementos that will be purchased before you come back, and the gifts etc.

                    Don't think my other half bargained on the large and medium sized wooden elephants, that travelled errr hand luggage !
                    Well technically we are already married, Bangkok was really full on, we arrived in Koh Samui yesterday and have just been chilling out since then, so have had a bit of inter webs time as well.

                    Ceremony is on Sunday, but as there are no friends or family to get drunk and start fights (we may do that ourselves!) there is very little stress.
                    Go out, do stuff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yay more grown ups....qnd not the seafaring types......welcome welcome. I have the reverse issue of teaching my kids what I do and geting them to understand that dad travels for work so doesn't want to trabel on leave licky for me they are older ....one joins the army while I am away this trip......*sigh*

                      So hello ans welcome we will try to indotrinate you and cure any sort of sea blindness you suffered from in the past oh and try to make you evangelical to all your family qnd friends about all things ship and sea........

                      Chiefy
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

                      Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.


                      Twitter:- @DeeChief

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Clanky View Post

                        Ceremony is on Sunday, but as there are no friends or family to get drunk and start fights.
                        But that's the best part of an Irish wedding!


                        Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

                        All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He's been taken on by Princess Cruises. Lucky really as it was his first ever interview.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another non sea-faring parent here who just wishes they had known about this career a few years ago. I did nursing so I could travel and loved the job and did travel a lot. My oldest son started out by knowing that he didn't want a desk job and wanted to travel. Pure chance that we came across the merchant navy and it ticked all the boxes. So far so good but now he's headed out on first sea phase today right into a force 9 up scaling to a 12 if the forecasts are true. I'm trying to track on marinetraffic.com but no updates since midday - can anyone tell me why there is such a delay? Trying to keep rational but forgive me for feeling a tad anxious!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ma Goose View Post
                              Another non sea-faring parent here who just wishes they had known about this career a few years ago. I did nursing so I could travel and loved the job and did travel a lot. My oldest son started out by knowing that he didn't want a desk job and wanted to travel. Pure chance that we came across the merchant navy and it ticked all the boxes. So far so good but now he's headed out on first sea phase today right into a force 9 up scaling to a 12 if the forecasts are true. I'm trying to track on marinetraffic.com but no updates since midday - can anyone tell me why there is such a delay? Trying to keep rational but forgive me for feeling a tad anxious!!
                              I think another parent had this problem a while back! It's to do with receiver stations onshore I believe - he's most likely out of range, so it hasn't received an update yet, or something along those lines

                              Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X