:) hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :) hi

Hi i'm Emily i'm 21years old and i'm an aspiring Deck cadet looking into it for Septmeber 2014 intake. Not too sure whether i'll get onto one though because i already have a degree which is totally irrelevent because i didnt know what i wanted to do. But always at the back of my mind ive had the Merchant navy since i left school in 2008 when i went to an open day at Fleetwood nautical college and was told by a gentleman to go and grow up first. :/ so i chose a rubbish college course and subsequently a rubbish degree in subjects i'm totally not interested in! Any help/guidance would be sooooooo appreciated! TIA! xx Emily
    H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Hello and welcome...

The natives will be along shortly...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Sounds like the guy at Fleetwood gave you some bad advice! Anyway the degree shouldn't be a hindrance at all. I would say the majority of people in my intake who made it to the end and got their OOW ticket already had a degree. Shows you have the ability to cope with studying independently and all that stuff. Also likely that the workload will be less of a shock if you are used to uni work.

Best advice is to go for it, apply everywhere and apply early. Check out the CV writing article for tips on how to make yourself stand out in the application process and have a read through the forum for other threads on similar subjects. Loads of info on here. The search function is your friend!

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Emily,

Welcome!!

Replied to your other thread. I'm pretty sure the degree will work in your favour, and September's the right time to be looking at so get applications in!
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Hi welcome, it's always good to see girls interested in the MN seems to be more since I started ! Best of luck !

Comment

Emily,

You do not have to be mad to be here - but it helps.

If you are doing a CV and need some advice hop over to this:

The Officer Cadet guide to writing a CV

It may help.

Shout if you need anything else!

Good luck.

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your application.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
              X