Hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

After having a look through the forum decided to join. My name is Andrew and currently a Chief mate with Targe Towing holding a Chief mate unlimited CoC. Previously worked for Gearbulk on self geared general cargo ships.

Originally posted by AndyE View Post
    After having a look through the forum decided to join. My name is Andrew and currently a Chief mate with Targe Towing holding a Chief mate unlimited CoC. Previously worked for Gearbulk on self geared general cargo ships.
    Andy welcome to the madhouse. There will be many on here who will have no idea of self geared GC ships so you may need to name a few so they can look them up! My first ship was the Patroclus, a Blue Funnel GC ship with Derricks, cranes and a Stulken Heavy Lift Derrick as well as tween decks, cargo tanks and fridge rooms! 8 days in port all around the far east and Indonesia - Time of my life.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hi Ian, Thanks for the welcome. I mainly worked with gantry cranes, much simpler set up than derricks. Still got the long port visits when doing full holds load with full timber deck cargo. Enjoyed the work/trades but moved on for other reasons.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Any chance you could tell us what life on self geared general cargo ships is like these days? So far I've only ever heard people talk about working on them in the good old days and "during the war..." like the above person...

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
          Hi Andy,

Any chance you could tell us what life on self geared general cargo ships is like these days? So far I've only ever heard people talk about working on them in the good old days and "during the war..." like the above person...
          Watch it you - remember I have your address and know where you live and reside term time.....

I also have the ear of a couple of your employers staff......
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I left in 2006 so a few years since working on them. The work was enjoyable and very hands on (no sitting in a cargo control room). We still had alcohol on board so the ships with bars had a good atmosphere with the 5pm bar meet, dinner then back to the bar. Sunday was generally a half day BBQ with a 'few' drinks. All on sea passages of course. Sadly my last few trips were on newer ships so no bar, no Brits and no atmosphere but still beer for company. We still managed some lengthy stays in port due to weather depended cargoes or crap stevedores not being able to operate cranes or work cargo. I loved the varied cargoes and varying trade routes. Sadly as mentioned I was the only Brit on my last trip for 5 months which was pretty depressing and lonely so moved to other pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
              Watch it you - remember I have your address and know where you live and reside term time.....

I also have the ear of a couple of your employers staff......
              my teddy bears will save me. Just ask GM

Originally posted by AndyE View Post
              I left in 2006 so a few years since working on them. The work was enjoyable and very hands on (no sitting in a cargo control room). We still had alcohol on board so the ships with bars had a good atmosphere with the 5pm bar meet, dinner then back to the bar. Sunday was generally a half day BBQ with a 'few' drinks. All on sea passages of course. Sadly my last few trips were on newer ships so no bar, no Brits and no atmosphere but still beer for company. We still managed some lengthy stays in port due to weather depended cargoes or crap stevedores not being able to operate cranes or work cargo. I loved the varied cargoes and varying trade routes. Sadly as mentioned I was the only Brit on my last trip for 5 months which was pretty depressing and lonely so moved to other pastures.
              Ah that's a shame. It sounds like it was fun/interesting work before the changes. Was it just your company undergoing those changes, or did you notice them happening in other companies at about the same time?

Comment

my teddy bears will save me. Just ask GM
                Doubt it, they're busy....
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Most seemed to be going dry at that time, let's just say some misuse of alcohol was forcing the companies to go that way. I was lucky to sail with a couple of older British (and one Indian) captains who were keeping the good old days going.

Comment

ah well that doesn't really bother me to be honest. I'm with the borg at the moment so already dry. What about the changes in manning? From some of the talk on here, it seems like there isn't a single sector of the industry that isn't replacing European/British Officers with cheaper labour.

Comment

I was getting all excited for a fantastic new 'genre' (?) of shipping until that last bit... ah well! If only I was born 20 years ago and hit it in the heyday!

Comment

I think you would've needed to be born closer to 50-60 years ago or even before that to get it in its heyday! Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                          I think you would've needed to be born closer to 50-60 years ago or even before that to get it in its heyday! Shame.

I was being nice to some of the 'more life-experienced' among us!

Comment

Steady on you lot! I have to say that thinking 20 years ago being the heyday is a bit of a romantic notion. Even when I joined in 1981 things were on the decline for UK companies. Many Companies had already gone to the wall and flagging out was already happening. 2 years before I joined 50 cadets were taken on by Ocean Fleets. The year I joined it was 6 and we were all made redundant at the end! We still had fantastic times though with GC ships, many days in ports, tramping, bars on ships and 6 or 8 cadets on some ships.

Ian

Comment

ah well that doesn't really bother me to be honest. I'm with the borg at the moment so already dry. What about the changes in manning? From some of the talk on here, it seems like there isn't a single sector of the industry that isn't replacing European/British Officers with cheaper labour.
                              a chinese 3rd officer is ready to board a ship for USD 1500. why do u think a businessman wont lay the europeans off?

Comment

Working...
                              X