Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hi i am new to this forum chat stuff so please be patient with me .
    I am interested in the cadet trainee scheme. Any information on how i would go about making this career move start happening would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Tony M

Originally posted by tmurray87 View Post
    I am interested in the cadet trainee scheme. Any information on how i would go about making this career move start happening would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Tony M
    Shameless self promotion but I basically wrote a blog post on this: http://seainterludes.blogspot.co.uk/...apply-now.html

Comment

Tony, are you interested specifically in the MEF scheme, or are you asking how to get a cadetship generally?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

'harmlessWeasel' thank you. your blog had useful links which i will read through.

'size4riggerboots' sorry, im asking in general how to go about getting a cadetship? Also do I need UCAS points?

Thanks

Comment

No worries Tony, I'll split this off into a new thread for you

Edit: Thread split. Oh and HW's blog post there is a goldmine!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Ok im slowly getting there ha... do all sponsoring companies want the student to have UCAS points? or is it just some of them.

Comment

Nope it depends on your route, to get onto the FD courses then you need UCAS points, there is a minimum and it will be stated on colleges website. If you're taking the HND then you don't all company's should say on their websites what you require, normally this is influenced by the grades needed for the college course, although some company's do have higher grade requirements, probably to thin the applications...

Comment

That's good news, as i don't have any :P .
                Thanks Bulman

Comment

No problem theirs plenty of ways to do it if you do want to do a FD, I'm on the fd and have no A levels, got my UCAS points from a 'access to higher' qualification thingy me bob haha.

Comment

i didn't think of that.... thats another route i shall look at. Could i do the degree after doing the foundation course? if you don't mind me asking how hard was it to find a sponsor?

Comment

I think after the fd you can too it up to the full degree with only a year, so it's a good deal, some companies may even pay it for you! I was very lucky, only applied for two companies and got one, heard nothing from the other. I didn't even know other sectors exist as cadet ships were new to me...

But what I've learnt now, is apply to everything don't put all your eggs in one basket, getting a company depends on you, plenty of useful threads on here about how to make good CV's, what companies look for and advice for interviews, so you've come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray87 View Post
                        Thanks in advance
                        Tony M

http://www.careersatsea.org/ is a great website. Gave me a lot of info and a good base to build on.
                        Twitter: Scotty_2410

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                        William Arthur Ward

Comment

cheers bulman and scotty for the advice ill ill do some research an go for it.
                          thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X