Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone

Hello

This is my second attempt to post a thread; the first one disappeared into the ether (that's the excuse in case it appears twice).

I've registered as this looks an interesting site - this is just a brief post to say hello and introduce myself.

I was a Deck Cadet many moons ago, then Third Mate, Second Mate and Mate. I spent most of my time in the Far East ad South Pacific.

I'll probably bore you all to bits from time to time with tales of old: 18 month trips; mad Captains, ancient general cargo ships etc.

Nothing really changes though, apart from the shape of the ships and the new ways shipowners think up to make money out of the troops.

Regards to all

Simon

Welcome Simon! Always great to have experienced folk join us I take it from the "Retired Deck Officer" status that you now work ashore? What do you do now then? (And I'm looking forward to the stories!)

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

We love stories or I do at any rate

Comment

Hello and welcome!
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Welcome to the madness, always good to see the lantern swing a bit!
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Hall View Post
            I spent most of my time in the Far East ad South Pacific.

18 month trips; mad Captains, ancient general cargo ships etc.
            Bank Line?
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
              Welcome to the madness, always good to see the lantern swing a bit!
              Give it time and we'll have you, Chiefy and Hatchorder in here going "in my day..."
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                Give it time and we'll have you, Chiefy and Hatchorder in here going "in my day..."
                nah.... He must be older than me. The longest trip I did was 6.5 months on one of the bay boats. At last there is a glimmer of hope that someone is older than me......

I am sure I can smell white lead and tallow... Don't suppose you whipper snappers even know what that is do you?

Pray, do tell simon....

Please!

Welcome.

Ian
                "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

In response to previous comments/questions: my longest trips were with the China Navigation Company. The longest I was away was 18 months, which was split between two ships, both conventional general cargo traders operating in the Far East and South Pacific. I joined the first one, the Poyang, in Port Moresby then left 9 months later in Manila where I cooled my heels for a week, then caught the next ship going south, the Kwangsi, which I left in New Zealand 9 months after that. For the first 9 months, the trade was Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and Taiwan, then out to a string of South Pacific islands from New Guinea out to Tahiti. In the second 9 months, the Far East ports were the same although when we went south we called at Fiji and the New Zealand coast. I was Second Mate on both. It was absolutely fabulous; I didn't want to go home.

Prior to CNCo, I was with Ben Line, which were mostly shorter trips, 4 - 5 months, from UK and Europe to the Far east, although I did do a 9 month charter on one occasion. My trips as a cadet were 8 - 9 months.

I left the sea when I got married. I am now Chief Executive of a financial services and insurance group. Although I am paid a lot of money, I sometimes find the job so dull I could beat my head against the wall. For the first few years after I left the sea, I used to crave to be back, although this lessened as time passed.

I go to reunions with old sea-going friends from time to time, where we always drink too much and make arses of ourselves, as we used to when we were at sea.

I have noticed posts on this forum from people who are considering a career at sea. I had a fantastic time and would recommend it to anyone who wants something difference. Key attributes for success: resilience, stamina, sense of humour, thick skin.

Comment

my longest trips were with the China Navigation Company. The longest I was away was 18 months, which was split between two ships, both conventional general cargo traders operating in the Far East and South Pacific. I joined the first one, the Poyang, in Port Moresby then left 9 months later in Manila where I cooled my heels for a week, then caught the next ship going south, the Kwangsi, which I left in New Zealand 9 months after that. For the first 9 months, the trade was Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and Taiwan, then out to a string of South Pacific islands from New Guinea out to Tahiti. In the second 9 months, the Far East ports were the same although when we went south we called at Fiji and the New Zealand coast. I was Second Mate on both. It was absolutely fabulous; I didn't want to go home.
                    Wow! That's a trip I'd love to do! (although maybe longer than week in the middle would be nice). They just don't do trips like that any more though

I am now Chief Executive of a financial services and insurance group. Although I am paid a lot of money, I sometimes find the job so dull I could beat my head against the wall.
                    Oh my, you poor thing, I can't imagine going back to a land job, no matter how much they paid. *hugs*

Still, it sounds like you've a wealth of experience and still have a healthy interest in life at sea, it's great to have you here

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                      Oh my, you poor thing, I can't imagine going back to a land job, no matter how much they paid. *hugs*
                      I can
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
                      X