Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi Everyone,

My name's Sam and I'm currently applying for deck officer cadetships. My main reason for joining the forum is that I know absolutely nobody from the Merchant Navy, and I thought it might be a good idea to get an idea of what the job actually involves, rather than what colleges and companies say it does on their brochures - the anonymous forum's been very helpful with that!

I would also really appreciate some help with fine tuning my CV for the sea, so if anyone has the time?

Chat to you all soon,

Sam.

Welcome Sam! I suggest you get in touch with Hatchorder, he's very good at CVs and will give you sound advice. (He will also be blunt about it!)

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Hi Sam,

I can second that advice. I was in the same situation as you before Christmas. Just make sure you read the CV thread and the Interview Tips thread as a basis so he doesn't have to repeat everything on there. Basically help him help you.

I can also confirm that he can be very blunt, but everything is deserved and fair and not at all mean, quite the opposite, in fact

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Oiiii - I resemble those remarks - but they are true!

Private message on it's way to you. Hope you have a hard hat and a bullet proof vest!

Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          Hope you have a hard hat and a bullet proof vest!
          A permit to work might be a good idea as well

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
            Oiiii - I resemble those remarks -
            That's the point isn't it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Hi guys, sorry about the delay in replying, it's been quite a busy week. Thanks for the welcome and the help!

Sam

Comment

Working...
              X