Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hello guys!
    Been sniffing around officer cadet since i decided i wanted to work at sea but never bothered to sign up!
    Anyway applied to CMT early this year, got a conditional offer just over a month ago and since have achieved the conditions, also passed my ENG1 about 3 weeks ago.

Now just looking forward to starting my HND Engineering in September at City of Glasgow barring a fire at the SQA or something that delays my HNC being awarded

Got a couple of questions that are bound to have been answered somewhere else though,

Something that has been bothering my for a while now is that by the looks of things I will have to stay in the halls of residence at the college when I'm literally 2 mins away from the college (anybody who knows the area I live just across the bridge!)
    Obviously if its required then ill just simply have to but has anyone or does anyone know anybody with CMT who did not stay at the halls of residence, if so, how did they go about it? i know its basically to get you used to staying away from home and all that jazz but i already stay with my nan, who i basically take care of when I'm not working so I'm already pretty used to living myself and stuff.

Also I'm keen on going for a run in the morning, like I'm usually up around 4 am currently, go a run and then straight onto work at 5. I imagine college would start around the same time as most colleges, maybe a little earlier to clock in or whatever does anyone actually know? but if I was staying at the halls of residence, is it frowned upon to be up and out a few hours before college begins? I do hope not!

and finally I know the basic script with CMT, don't usually tell you what company you have untill you start at the college, ive been tyhinking about if they get in touch about a second interview, does anyone know what offshore companies do second interviews with CMT? like I chose Gulf and Vroon as my top two, as far as i know Vroon dont do second interviews that often and Gulf prefer to send you to fleetwood! but I've already been told I'm starting Glasgow in September. so company wise I don't really have any idea!

Anything would be useful guys!
    Thanks a lot
    Conor!
    MrTorpedo

Hello, welcome, blah blah blah

I dont think there is a restriction in getting up time anywhere.....if you share a room (do cadets still do that) in halls, then you know your roomie might have an opinion

otherwise......hello enjoy the ride
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Cheers bud! Yeah I'm proper looking forward to it I'm hoping I don't have to find out, hopefully they will be fine with me just commuting into college, would be a waste of a place in one of the halls!
      MrTorpedo

Comment

I think if you're under 18 they insist on you staying in halls. As a greying 28 year old they are allowing me stay at home and I live in Shawlands which again is pretty close to the college. I'd have struggled to afford both the rent and my mortgage which was the reason I stated on the exemption form. I can't wait to start too!
        Check out the blog!

http://www.rudder-nonsense.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Yes, we do have start times. A angry shouty man runs in at 0500 banging mess tins together and then chases you round the college as you hold something heavy over your head.....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
            Yes, we do have start times. A angry shouty man runs in at 0500 banging mess tins together and then chases you round the college as you hold something heavy over your head.....
            Sounds very Full Metal Jacket... I always thought Glasgow and war-era Saigon had similarities.
            Check out the blog!

http://www.rudder-nonsense.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by RudderNonsense View Post
              Sounds very Full Metal Jacket... I always thought Glasgow and war-era Saigon had similarities.
              Nothing the liberal application of napalm won't fix...
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by RudderNonsense View Post
                I think if you're under 18 they insist on you staying in halls. As a greying 28 year old they are allowing me stay at home and I live in Shawlands which again is pretty close to the college. I'd have struggled to afford both the rent and my mortgage which was the reason I stated on the exemption form. I can't wait to start too!
                Cheers mate! ill make a point of sending them a wee email sometime this week, it just doesn't make sense, I'm closer than some of the places the guys will be staying! that and I obviously like the idea of having a extra ?380? in my pocket every month!
                MrTorpedo

Comment

Glasgow is currently going through a major refurbishment and the old halls of residence are in the process of being torn down. Due to this places are limited and therefore I would reckon you would have quite a good chance of getting to stay at home. Of course that decision would involve some common sense and logic, which is sometimes in short supply when it comes to the organisational decisions at said institution.

Comment

Working...
                  X