Hello and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and questions

Hello, i am currently a deck cadet in my first sea phase on a bulk carrier, 2 months in. I ve been checking this site for sometime and decided to join since i wanted to ask a few not very sensitive questions.

So my first questions here are

1)In your opinion what is the best type of ship to work on? Or can you just give me a somewhat detailed description of each ship you might have worked on?
    It is pretty hard to decide which ship to focus as a cadet since you dont really know many details about each type of sea. mainly interested in lng, passenger ship information but i would also like to learn about oil tankers and containers.

2)Because having to buy overpriced internet cards from each port isnt my favorite thing to do, does anyone know of any program or phone company that would give me international internet? Either on my laptop or my smartphone?
    I was imagining something that would allow me to access the internet while near land in almost every place of the world with my phone or laptop. Does anything like that exist?

Probably had more questions to ask but i am currently to sleepy and tired to remember, will probably ask more questions in this thread later

I will leave others to answer question 1, but on question 2 I know that there are a couple of worldwide sims such as WorldSim and GoSim. I don't know about the cost of Data, but I know they do worldwide calls that are reasonable.

The only other alternative is sat phone data, but that is expensive.

http://www.worldsim.com/wireless-roaming-usb/

http://www.gosim.com/data-sim-card.html

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I am interested in working on LNGs on my 2nd sea phase and later and i got a few questions about them

1) can someone give me a brief and simple list with the pros and cons of each lng containment system?(moss,gt96,tgz m3 etc)

2)how dangerous to your health is working on a LNG?long term? didnt find much about it online but i havent searched a lot about it since the internet here from india is pretty slow

3) i heard there was an increase in lng vessel demand a couple of years back but now it has died down a little, is that true?

Comment

Hi Ralphie, welcome to the forum

Originally posted by ralphie2449 View Post
        1)In your opinion what is the best type of ship to work on? Or can you just give me a somewhat detailed description of each ship you might have worked on?
        It is pretty hard to decide which ship to focus as a cadet since you dont really know many details about each type of sea. mainly interested in lng, passenger ship information but i would also like to learn about oil tankers and containers.
        Ok, this is quite a huge question! Everyone will have an opinion, but it's difficult to give a balanced view as not many people have worked on all types of ship, certainly not as the same rank, so any answer will not be impartial. As for giving a "somewhat detailed description of each ship you may have sailed on", I'm going to refer you to my blog, (link in signature!) as a cadet I talked about life onboard several different types of ship, plus there's links to my flickr where there are many photos from said trips. It's not very clear what information you want about ships, and don't forget that peoples experiences of the various ship types are coloured greatly by the crew they sailed with.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
        X