Hey :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey :D

Hey everyone, have an interview with CMT next week just a quick few questions

I'm currently doing NC Aeronautical Engineering just wondering if it can be linked to Nautical Engineering and if this is something worth mentioning at the interview?

Also ive read in a lot of posts that people have already done interviews with CMT for the September intake which shocked me a wee bit thought i was quite early in applying ha

If unsuccessful are there any more agencies to apply for only got standard grades 7 in levels 1-3

Thanks, Sorry if these are repeated questions that i've missed in the forums :P

Hi kvnhowie,

Thanks for joining.

You can certainly use your Aeronautical Engineering course as a sign of enthusiasm in Engineering.... assuming you want to be a Marine Engineer.

There are many other companies which you may apply to, although I suspect somewhat from talking with the companies you are cutting it rather late regarding an application for the September 2013 intake.

Please see this article for information on sponsoring companies: http://www.officercadet.com/content....mpany-profiles

Comment

Yeah definitely read on here that the rejection rate for CMT is low unless you make an arse of the interview which is good does anyone know if its more like an interview with say the navy or army where they're just wanting to know if its the right path that your looking for or is it quite thorough in the questions they ask like each vessels, crew, knots etc hoping its rather easy with my experience of interviews everything just fly's over the top of my head when i sit down lol

Comment

You haven't actually said which trade you are applying for, are you applying for a Cadetship as a Deck or an Engine Cadet?

The interview is of course going to ask whether you are sure it may be a career path for you or not, they are investing a lot of money in you; it is a pretty standard interview.

The forum is full of information on interviews.

As for general knowledge on seamanship, they won't quiz you on anything like that... you will be taught all of that at college and onboard.

Comment

Engine Cadet as the Aeronautics will have helped me out with any Maths + Physics stuff as I don't have any Physics qualifications but looking forward to the interview none the less if unsuccessful can you be put forward for the Jan intake in 2014?

Comment

Hi Kvnhowie. Had my interview for CMT a few weeks ago (deck). Having been previously interviewed for both the Navy and the Army (although this was a while ago!) I found they had a few similarities. I won't be too specific here (2 reasons why 1: house rules and 2: until I know for a fact that I passed my interview I have to accept the possibility that any advice I give you could be utter nonsense!) but I would say that having a good look through the interview prep guide and ship information fact sheet is not a bad idea at all! Also common sense tells me that any organisation which invests a lot of time and money in training people (like any MN sponsor) won't want people they feel aren't likely to stick it out, so to answer your question: I'd say expect a bit of both but like Faust said they won't expect seamanship or nautical knowledge unless you put on your application that you've sailed before. I got a few basic nautical questions thrown my way but that was only because I had a certain white-ensign waving organisation down on my list of previous employers and my interviewer probably just wanted to make sure I wasn't fibbing.

I had mine at the Southampton Office. I was actually very impressed with how the interview was done. They gave me a chance to relax once I was in there, all questions were to-the-point, no blatant attempts to catch me out or make me feel silly and the gent interviewing me had clearly read my CV, which is something that I have found to be quite rare when applying for an entry level job in a large company!

Oh and I would definitely mention your NC. It shows academic ability, commitment and a genuine interest in engineering so if I were you I'd find any excuse to talk about it! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks helps me out a lot not the confident of people but going to give it a right good if all else fails Royal Navy when I'm 4 year clear of asthma in January woo haha ... Hope all goes well for you too !

Comment

Originally posted by kvnhowie View Post
                Thanks helps me out a lot not the confident of people but going to give it a right good if all else fails Royal Navy when I'm 4 year clear of asthma in January woo haha ... Hope all goes well for you too !
                If all fails! The utter cheek of it :-P I've just passed AIB mate and have 2 and a half years reserve service so if you need any advice on the real sorry I mean Royal Navy in particular the application process (officer or rating, I 've passed both) then just pm me. Same goes for anybody else though I doubt there is many on here

Comment

I'd just give the ENG1 requirements a quick read. There's something about asthma in there. If you pop over to the ENG1 thread in the Aspiring Cadets section you should find a link to the requirements

Comment

Originally posted by jj-1994 View Post
                    If all fails! The utter cheek of it :-P I've just passed AIB mate and have 2 and a half years reserve service so if you need any advice on the real sorry I mean Royal Navy in particular the application process (officer or rating, I 've passed both) then just pm me. Same goes for anybody else though I doubt there is many on here

Ha! I thought I'd just gloss over that part of his post... Well done on passing the AIB mate! There are few things that can compare to that feeling when your board president sits you down and says "you've passed" so enjoy it! Her Majesty's boat club is a fine institution to serve in.

Comment

if all else fails Royal Navy
                      Just thought it would be the easier option of going to sea lol no digs intended :P and well done on passing is it possible to switch from the Royal Navy after 4 years to the Merchant ?

Comment

Working...
                      X