Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone! I discovered this website yesterday and it has already helped me, so... I guess I had to register!! Next year I will go onboard a ship for first time in my life after finishing my 4 years degree, and I am already super excited!
    I don't know what I will do to find a company yet, for now I have a 'favourites' list.
    For now I will start to gather information and focus on finishing my degree

Nice to meet you!

Degree and not FD? Are you doing your CoC aswell?

Comment

He/She's not a UK cadet. Indians and Filipinos have a different way of becoming officers, they undertake a maritime degree, then they go out and find a company to take them as a cadet, then they sit orals. Not sure it's the best way, but our way isn't perfect neither, so rocks and glass houses.
      Linkedin

Comment

Ah right, I suppose there benefiets to both training methods. What I like about ours is that everything is done at the same time so you can leave college and get on with your career

Comment

Well I am from Spain, and the way it works is: we have 4 years of edication, then we have to find a company to be a cadet for 6 months, and then they give us our degree. After that, we have to find somewhere to do 6 more months, and then they give us the officer rank.
          Of course, this is a bad way, difficult for us and not too effective. It is hard to find a company that will want us and it is terrible that we can't be on a ship until we finish, after the 4th year. If I knew before, I would have try to study in the UK, but now, a few more months there is no point.

Comment

Yeah sounds tough, glad you've stuck at it though. Wish you the best of luck finding a company. Tip - don't be picky just apply everywhere. Laws of probability mean you will eventually get a place :-P

Comment

Can the lecturers on your course not get you some contacts of companies who take Spanish cadets? Is there any facebook groups for Spanish mariners, or perhaps a group on Linkedin?
              Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                Can the lecturers on your course not get you some contacts of companies who take Spanish cadets? Is there any facebook groups for Spanish mariners, or perhaps a group on Linkedin?
                This is very good advice.

As I said on the other thread, you could also try, Acciona Trasmediteranea, Naviera Armas (Islas Canarias), Balearea, Pulmantur, Fred Olsen, who i believe emplot Spanish officers.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
                  Tlloyd1983, our lecturers recommended us to find a company by ourselves. Some years there are 1 or 2 places in the tugs from the harbour of our city, but I think it is not a very good place to start. And I have tried to find groups everywhere, but there is no organization.
                  Maybe it is something impossible, but my goal is to find a good company that will allow me to do my best (i.e., I have the DP basic certificate and I would like to use it!)
                  Anyway, I am working in advance to have the most I can done by the time I really have to find somewhere

Comment

Don't be picky? But... doesn't it matter the type of ship where you are a cadet? I mean, if for example I want to work in an LNG, shouln't I find an LNG to do it? And then it will be easier to find an actual job where I want?

Comment

Originally posted by cua View Post
                      Don't be picky? But... doesn't it matter the type of ship where you are a cadet? I mean, if for example I want to work in an LNG, shouln't I find an LNG to do it? And then it will be easier to find an actual job where I want?
                      Not necessarily, having experience as a cadet on the type of ship will stand out in your favour in the future (you will also presumably have made "contacts" within the industry you want to work in), but it's not the end-all.

At end of day, most important thing is to get your licence - it's easy enough to change which part of the industry you work in as a junior officer - it's only when you're higher up it becomes more of an issue.
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by cua View Post
                        I want to work in an LNG, shouln't I find an LNG to do it? And then it will be easier to find an actual job where I want?
                        Certainly it would be useful, but not essential. The ticket is what counts and you should make that alone your goal for now. Once that is acheived then the goal of working on LNG tankers comes along

Comment

Working...
                        X