Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when people help you on this website.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when people help you on this website.

Before you ask any question here please search the forums. The great majority of what you will ask has already been asked ? a hundred times!

Secondly have a look at the articles section. Many people will have invested a lot of time to write them and they may help you up to a certain point before you go on to ask a question. The rule here is ?first help yourself? ? we are happy to help ? we are just not going to do it all for you!

The reason that many of you are here is to ask for help and advice. That is great, there are many people here who will be glad to offer you lots of advice and help. Before you act on advice though, ask yourself ?Is this person qualified to answer this question?? Other people may add comments and they are perhaps not even cadets, let alone cadets in training, qualified officers or ex officers. Weigh up what advice you have been given. Whilst the advice may be free don?t make the mistake of thinking it has no value. Some of the advice here may be crucial in getting you through an application, to an interview, through induction, the first college phase or even your first sea phase. People even ask questions on here in their final exam phases!

Now you have to do something ? Thank those that helped you. If they have answered a simple question or been helpful in some way look at the bottom left of their post and click on the ?thanks? button. This is just a simple case of good manners.

I have had some completely opposite experiences on here. Sometimes I have rewritten CV?s or spent hours on the phone talking people through interview techniques. I have had potential cadets have half a dozen coaching sessions round at my house. Sometimes the first time I hear that they have been successful is when they post on the forum! Bad Form in my opinion.

The other side of the experience was tonight. A potential cadet, who has had help with his CV, applications and interviews rings me and asks me what I drink as he wants to thank me for my help. My response? ?Pay it forwards?. By that I mean ?Thank you so much for recognising what I have done to help. I am pleased to help, my reward is seeing people getting their dream job but the only payment I would like is for you to put the same effort into helping someone else in the future.? I am sure that all the other people on here that help feel the same way. It left me feeling all warm and fuzzy?.. Thank you.

So ? let?s have a thread of thanks. If you get a bit of help in a post then please thank the poster by clicking on the ?Thanks? button bottom left. If someone has really helped and gone ?above and beyond? then shout about it in this thread and let people know in what way and how much they helped you.

Thank you,

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

I will start this off by thanking Guinnessman.

As some of you may have realised I have not been around a lot over the last few weeks. A combination of work issues, family health issues and my son going off to sea have meant I have been too busy to be around here a lot and not been in the right frame of mind. I even let down a potential cadet who asked me for help with their CV – Sorry.

However, Guinnessman – realising I was not around took the time to pick up the phone and ring me a few days ago to see if I was OK. Thank you Guinnessman, you cheered me up by checking I was not buried under the patio. I appreciated it.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Wonderful to see you back on here Hatchorder! I was getting a bit worried too! I don't know if you've seen this thread yet... http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...027-Hatchorder

I owe you thanks for your help and advice when my hard drive died - (it's dead than a dodo sadly) and for your timely reminders to call home, which even though I'm not a cadet any more, have always nudged me into calling my nearest and dearest! Also thank you for having the patience to answer so many cadets questions so thoughtfully, articulately and in depth. You are a huge asset to this forum and I promise, you are not taken for granted xxx

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I think you had us all worried. I'm sure my heart skipped a beat when I saw a thread entitled 'Hatchorder' after you'd been absent, I was very glad to read that it wasn't a thread describing some disaster, with a link to a collection fund! Not that I'm tight, I'd just rather you were safe and sound

I've said it before but a huge thanks go to you, regardless of how my application turns out, you've been an inspiration.

Thanks to everyone else who's answered my seemingly endless questions all over the forum. I'll make it up by 'Paying it forward' as Hatchorder put it. Oh and if I meet you then I'll get the first round

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus View Post
          Oh and if I meet you then I'll get the first round
          So your place this weekend then yeah? Fantastic...

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          I will start this off by thanking Guinnessman.

As some of you may have realised I have not been around a lot over the last few weeks. A combination of work issues, family health issues and my son going off to sea have meant I have been too busy to be around here a lot and not been in the right frame of mind. I even let down a potential cadet who asked me for help with their CV – Sorry.

However, Guinnessman – realising I was not around took the time to pick up the phone and ring me a few days ago to see if I was OK. Thank you Guinnessman, you cheered me up by checking I was not buried under the patio. I appreciated it.

Ian
          Anytime bud, just thought it best I check on you and make sure you're alright as you're around this place as much as I am!

Besides, I can't imagine Mrs Hatchorder burying you under the patio! It's much easier for her just to throw you off a cliff or something...
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Ian has assisted everyone on this forum, either with his direct CV assistance or indirectly by reading his forum posts (most interesting!), and I certainly appreciate it. Thanks Ian!
            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

I wish I could remember the name of every single person that has given me advice, answered my questions and generally helped in any way. When I first joined this forum I had so many questions and worries, and so many people have answered my questions, helped me stop from driving myself insane over interview preparations and basically involved me in interesting discussion. So to each and every one of you, THANK YOU!
              A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                So your place this weekend then yeah? Fantastic...
                Tell you what, seeing how I don't currently have a job, and london is expensive, I'll let you choose between a round at my place, or a night out my treat when I get my first job and can actually pay for. That way you have an incentive to put up with me for another three years

Comment

We'll be holding you to that Fergus! (we're all coming you realise..)

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I'm counting on half of you being at sea unfortunately that won't affect the guinnessman, maybe I should make sure it's a weekday and about as far from the border as possible

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
                      I'm counting on half of you being at sea unfortunately that won't affect the guinnessman, maybe I should make sure it's a weekday and about as far from the border as possible
                      Which puts you within my range and will be able to drink both mine AND Guinnessmans share and then pass it on later. Not that I look forwards to that - he drinks Banana Daiquiri's, Pink Squirrel's and Pina Colada's. You think engineers are "Roughty Toughties"? He is more proud of his drink umbrella collection than anything else!

Eeeeuuuggghhh!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                        Which puts you within my range and will be able to drink both mine AND Guinnessmans share and then pass it on later. Not that I look forwards to that - he drinks Banana Daiquiri's, Pink Squirrel's and Pina Colada's. You think engineers are "Roughty Toughties"? He is more proud of his drink umbrella collection than anything else!

Eeeeuuuggghhh!
                        I thought engineers only drank ginger beer?

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
                          I thought engineers only drank ginger beer?
                          We drink Guinness. Lots of it...

We drink anything with Alcohol. Lots of it...
                          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                          X