Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - aspiring Deck cadet, looking to change career

Hi,

Just a quick one to say hello, I'm just in the process of applying for sponsorship now.

I've reached the end with my current career and had always wanted to work at sea, but hadn't considered it as an option due to my qualifications. However, I've been doing some research and found that it's a lot more possible than I'd thought. My only worry is my age, 36 next week (please, don't make a fuss ). Are there many other 'old people' on here, either cadets or recently qualified?

Cheers,
    Tom

Put your mind at ease I was on my induction day with a very switched on 42 year old who had left his main career ten years ago and recently decided he wanted to work at sea, he is very highly regarded by the recruters and his age and experieince I feel is nothing but an advantage. If you have what it takes age isnt a barrier to getting a cadetship. I am also 29 so no spring chicken and I start my cadetship next week.

Comment

Lovely, thanks Ganner - I sort of figured the age/experience thing would stand me in good stead, but it's still good to have it confirmed and to hear of others in the same boat (no pun intended!)

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

Theres some advantages to being older, and some dissadvantages, however theres enough older cadets that companies certainly dont have a problem with the idea
        enjoy it.
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

may i joining do a cadet???

Comment

Working...
          X