Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember the time before Sat Nav?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sdot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ganner View Post
    Brilliant but what on earth is condensed milk?

Simply heaven in a tin :-)

Leave a comment:

• Bulman
    replied
    Condensed milk is amazing, would never put it in a sandwich but it is awesome straigh from the tin!

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Yummy, sticky, sweet! Milk with most of the water taken out. Evaporated milk taken to the extreme. Lovely in a sandwich. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Ganner
    replied
    Brilliant but what on earth is condensed milk?

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_i...a?OpenDocument

In 1997 it looks like the regs were changed to reduce the amount of condensed milk by half in some ships and to zero in some others. So there you go 1925 to 1997.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Boredom of Tirade statutory requirement to have one pound of Condensed milk for each person the lifeboat was certified to carry. Don't know when it changed.

Just looked it up online:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K...eboats&f=false

Introduced on July 1st 1925.

Love the mnemonic on that page to remember the kit in a lifeboat!

Here is a great one for you deckies to learn:

If to starboard red appear
    it is your duty to keep clear
    To act as caution says is proper
    Ease her, turn her, back her, stop her.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
    Have you ever eaten those biscuit things?
    Not a chance. They constipate you!

Your condensed milk was a voluntary addition to solid rations? Or to meet a statutory requirement?

Fresh water in tanks is the most common IME, but tins or sachets save on changing it every three months.

Leave a comment:

• Ducki52
    replied
    I can't imagine the feelings of the chaps who abandoned ship into a wooden boat with sails and oars, with no EPIRB or GMDSS etc and if they were lucky a hastily sent morse message with a rough position based on dead reckoning and a few tins of condensed milk to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Just found these with a quick search of google. All articles about the war and surviving in Lifeboats and having "Conny Onny" (phonetic spelling). I am not that old! The lifeboats I am talking about were between 1979 and 1989.

http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/hugh_rober...athellaird.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a7068684.shtml

http://www.war-experience.org/collec...tt/pagetwo.asp

http://barneshistorian.com/McIntosh.php

So it looks like Condensed Milk was in lifeboats during the war and right up to the late eighties. I remember we also had a drugs pack in each lifeboat but they kept getting broken into and nicked because of the Morphine so they became medical kits that were taken onboard the lifeboat in an emergency.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    We used to have the high energy compacted oaty bar thingumajigs. Water was in stainless steel tanks and then we had hundreds of tins of Condensed Milk. Because the ship heated up and cooled down every day in the tropics the lockers on the lifeboats got super heated. Over time the Condensed milt tins started to caramelise and the contents became really thick and got darker and darker. Just the same effect as if you boil a tin of condensed milk for 4 hours. It was really delicious. The Chefs used to have about a hundred tins and make cheescakes and other desserts for weeks until they went out of date.

Have you ever eaten those biscuit things? Euch! Drop one in a cup of tea and watch it drink the lot! "You can live of it but it tastes like ****!" to steal a phrase!

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    For example in the Lifeboat course we had to box the compass in half points, which I can still do sadly, but do you still have to do that?
    I believe that may still be part of EDH, though unlikely to be asked and probably only full points rather than halves or quarters.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Here is a question for you. Do you still pack hundreds of tins of condensed milk into the lifeboats?
    Err, no. When was that common practice? Lifeboat rations are usually oaty/tablety things meeting the statutory 10,000kJ per person requirements. Water might be tinned or packeted, but I've never come across condensed milk.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Nah! not interested in telling salty old seadog tales. Just interested to see how things have changed over the years. For example in the Lifeboat course we had to box the compass in half points, which I can still do sadly, but do you still have to do that?

But I am interested in helping people trying to get to sea or answer questions once they have secured an offer.

If we have a laugh and a chinwag along the way - so be it!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ducki52
    replied
    Here is a question for you. Do you still pack hundreds of tins of condensed milk into the lifeboats? Used to be lovely once they had caramelised when they were out of date and you would stick them in the suez mess (still called that?) with a load of spoons in......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Ian
    I think there's going to be a huge story-off between you and AncientMariner when (if?) he comes back.

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Here is a question for you. Do you still pack hundreds of tins of condensed milk into the lifeboats? Used to be lovely once they had caramelised when they were out of date and you would stick them in the suez mess (still called that?) with a load of spoons in......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Ian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X