Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the hate?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum business as in the past i always found it as a bit pointless and didnt really understand the concept but I have to admit that the threads and information posted on this website is invaluable so thank you all! I have an interview with SSTG the end of this month any advice on the best shipping companies? One other question I really want to know the answer for is, why does everyone have a hate against cruise liners?

Cheers lads!

Theres a few reasons that people hate cruise ships, and you will meet some on here that will demand to know that you arent just wanting to work on them, Ignore it, i would advise trying as many ship types as you can so you can pick which you enjoy best rather than listening to the tall tales that other people will tell you.
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Helloo!

Good luck with your interview, best to wait and see what companies they offer you then pick the best.

Comment

Ignore it its stupid, If you have a chance to get on a cruise ship go for it. I would love to work on one.

Comment

I think it all depends on what your looking for to be honest.

There is good and bad parts to every ship type, and I feel you have to way up the options and decide what is right for you.

Comment

I don't think its a hate of cruise ships as such, or hate at all. Its more a sense of wishing that aspiring cadets will realise that the cruise industry isn't the big glamorous shenanigans that it can look to be, its hard graft with generally poorer pay and leave than other shipping sectors, and also that if you're a cruise cadet its harder to become a cargo officer, but its easier to become a cruise officer having been a cargo cadet.

I suppose the old and bold of this site have also got a bit fed up with constantly putting their views across to people who come on the site only wishing to go cruising, and totally discounting other sectors to work in, and the said old and bold can get a bit snappy.
            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Old and bold - Did you find out Guinessman's true age Ducki?
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

There is a reason that other areas of industry pay more. It's because the lifestyle while on board a cruise ship is better.
                Last edited by gadget123; 8 May 2012, 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

ok gadget123,
                  there may be a better lifestyle on board cruise ships, but what if your an aspiring deck cadet seeking good promotional prospects??

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Old and bold - Did you find out Guinessman's true age Ducki?

I aint saying nuffin', I plead the fifth.
                    "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Well that's a decision you need to make depending on your ambitions. Probably worth trying offshore stuff if you want good promotional prospects. Just remember you need to be doing the job for the lifestyle and because you want to work at sea. There is no point doing it for the money there are much better ways to make money.

One thing you should make sure of is that you are sponsored by a company who actually have their cadets on their own ships. Be particularly careful of this when being sponsored by the likes of clyde and SSTG. As otherwise you get sent on whichever random ships they can find, which believe me is pretty hit and miss and you can end up on some awful ships.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget123 View Post
                        there are much better ways to make money.
                        such as...
                        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Originally posted by The Steez View Post
                          why does everyone have a hate against cruise liners?
                          Envy.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            such as...
                            Plenty of things working in finance banking etc are the obvious ones.
                            But I met a guy whos averages ?1,000 per week at 21 years old as a double glazing sales man. He hates his job but won't quit because he's making so much money.

Comment

well I think $400/day while at sea and 6 months holiday a year is pretty hard to beat unless you're a a lawyer/doctor/some other professional with expensive training

I guess salespeople have the potential to make a lot of money, I know I'd be rubbish at selling things

Comment

Working...
                              X