Asthma and ENG1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma and ENG1?

Hi everyone! I am very keen to join the merchant navy, and am wondering if having mild asthma, which does not affect my daily life would be a problem for me!?
    Last edited by The H; 1 April 2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: Amend Title

We're not MCA approved doctors, so please don't take what we say as gospel. Personally, depending on what type of Asthmatic your are, cannot see a reason why you can't.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I heard it can be a issue with alot of lads being knocked back by doctors, or being restricted to not being able to go any further than 15 miles offshore as they work on the basis of what if best bet is go and get a ENG1 done and go from there I know there is further testing that can be done to prove it wont be a issue etc that's just what i've heard but then again the guy who lives next to me has asthma
      Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
      Adapt and over come
      Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Hello!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mca_doctor...al__links_.pdf

Have a look at pages 189-197.

CD
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I have 'mild' asthma also. My first ENG1 examination i was only granted a 1 year certificate and had to see a medical referee first. This was due to the MCA massively tightening up their Asthma policy, and basically going over the top. (I use my Blue Inhaler around once every 4-6 weeks and do around 6 hours exercise per week.)

One year later i went back, and the first thing the doc told me, was that "thankfully the MCA have changed their policy back" and now the rule is you shouldnt use your Blue Inhaler more than twice per fortnight. You are allowed to use your brown Preventor Inhaler every day without any issues.

I also know of 3 other people with asthma that have worked at sea for 10+ years without problem.

So basically, if you have mild asthma is should not affect your sea career in the slightest.

Comment

However do keep your reliever in your boilersuit pocket as a lot of dust and ****e gets kicked about on ship and the last thing you want is to be keeled over on the deck trying to breathe whilst some hairy arsed 2nd Mate looks at you wondering what to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Lindawood
              I think the asthma is not good for this because it cause problems for your health during work in think you should use some natural remedies for curing asthma if you don't want to leave this job. I suggest you to use ginger garlic coffee or some veggies fresh juices to cure this quickly.
              Or, the OP can take the sensible advice on this thread and consult the official documents and speak to an MCA approved GP.

Comment

Why on earth are we bringing an old thread like this back to life? Especially one were the OP has buggered off as we haven't seen him around for ages!

Comment

First of all really sorry to resurrect this thread but I don't seem to have a 'start new thread' button.

In summary I would be interested to know if there are any folk out there with well controlled asthma who regularly take a preventer otherwise known as inhaled steroids , brown or orange inhalers.

My son had his Eng 1 medical today, and has mild asthma well controlled on Flixotide - no hospital admissions, exacerbations, antibiotics, GP visits for worsening etc for 10 years Plus and rarely uses his Ventolin. He's extremely fit having swum competitively and run cross country etc etc. The flow chart and an informal opinion from an eng 1 dr both indicated this met the requirements for unrestricted. The dr who saw my son today seemed to dislike inhaled steroids with a passion and so has granted him an unrestricted for 6 months but wants him off his preventer for this time after which he will see him again. I have worked as an asthma nurse and in the medical profession for years and it seems madness to take someone who is regularly controlled on their current medication off it. It also seems inconsistent with the guidelines so please can you please let me know either by pm or on this forum if you have a similar experience.

After 6 months when he requires a new Eng 1 is it acceptable to go to a different dr or is he required to go back to the same one?
                  many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X