New to all this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all this!

Hi all! Found this site recently, and have lots of questions! I am very interested in gaining a cadetship, but am not sure what my chances are! As i am 28 years old, does this hinder me? I currently work in a small port in Norfolk, and have gained some qualifications that i think may help me?, Vhf radio course, sea survival, oil spill level 2, and am currently working towards my costal skipper ticket, which i should complete in the near future! I also have considerable small boat handling experience, can any of this help?
    My only concern are my GCSE grades. I gained6 GCSE grades C or above, but unfortunately only a D in maths, however this was almost 12 years ago! and given my life experiences and qualifications i have gained, i'm very confident of the maths. However i would be willing to resit a maths exam if you guys think this would help me!?
    I would love to work on container ships, what would the best companies for this be? Any advice anyone could give me would be great!!!

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. I'm the same age as you. I contacted most of the companies; and they all insist on the Maths GCSE as a bare minimum. Most of them want a B; but some of the larger companies will accept a C. You could either retake a GCSE maths, and make sure you get at least a B grade. Or go down the Adult Numeracy LEVEL 2 route- which is accepted by the colleges as a C grade equivalent.

This is my own experience; as you have a fair degree of relevant experience, they may move the goal posts for you; but you'll have the take the time out to contact them all individually to find out. I must warn you; you will get generic responses. But don't be put off! Keep on plugging away and you'll get there in the end.

Good luck

Comment

Hi Drewber and welcome!

Bit foggy-headed from revision so just thought I'd pop in and say hello! Will see if I have any wisdom to offer tomorrow!
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Hi Matt, same year as me Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications, most companies will demand that you meet their minimum requirements, I imagine they may not even look beyond your grades but I could be wrong. I squeaked interviews with Clyde and Maersk with a GCSE maths grade C and a ton of pre-test revision in the case of Maersk. I'd suggest you look into retaking your maths GCSE (which I am considering if things go belly up with my conditional offer with Clyde and awaited answer from Maersk), but I can't see any harm in putting together a well written cover letter outlining why you want to go to sea and the various experiences you have in and around that sector. Maybe make a visit to an open day and put yourself across to a recruiter about your background and willingness to improve upon your maths base, fill out an application in front of them if they seem impressed and make sure they know your name... as I say, no harm in trying.

Comment

There is hope matt, i have a telephone interview in the next couple of weeks and i have a D in English literature, possibly maths is more important (i have a C) but the point is because i have relevant experience (coastal ferry skipper) and ENG1 and the stcw95 courses they looked passed the one iffy grade. Anyway i thought GCSE's were basically overlooked after there 10+ years old?

Point being get in touch, brush up on your maths skills and put across your good points. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X