Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahoy Mariners!

Hello all! And Happy New Year!

I have just found this site and hope to get a lot out of it and put some back in.

I'm currently a serving PO(SEA) in the Royal Navy, and I'm currently in the process of going thorough Officer selection to become a Warfare Officer with aspirations for Mine Warfare and Navigation. But after joining Nautilus I am now looking at leaving and becoming a Deck Officer in the MN.

I have found these Forums to be a gold mine in the past, as I have a passion for cars.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone is attending the Warsash open day on 20th of January drop me a PM.

For all you communicators; .- .-.

And everyone else good bye.

Dan
    "Never trust a skinny Chef..."

Hi and welcome to the forum! What was it that made you decide to swap? Also what companies were you looking at?
    Forum Admin

Comment

Hi Dan and welcome!

I can't really advise about the RN to MN move, other than to say that you'll probably find the MN much more relaxed. If you wanted to keep some connection with the services you could join the RNR in the latter stages of your MN cadetship - they specifically look for MN officers as direct-entry Amphibious Warfare Officers.

I'm also curious about which companies you're looking at?

I'll be around on the open day, either on the Carnival UK stand or floating about/doing tours. Have a look for the Irish one!
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Welcome

Hope you find the forums useful!
        Engine Cadet | Phase 5 @ Warsash Maritime Academy

Comment

Cheers for the replies,

Havent really considered which companies to approach, do you approach the companies first, get na interview then get a placment at a collage?

Dan

Comment

Yep that's about it. You get your place with a company and they arrange everything from there.

We've got a list of company profiles here: http://www.officercadet.com/content....mpany-profiles (will be complete by tonight, only started this morning) which gives contact details. I've still got to add profiles for Shell, Princess, Clyde, SSTG, Anglo-Eastern, Meridian and a few others.

Do you have any particular preference as to ship types?
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

There is also a section for applications which includes: http://www.officercadet.com/content....p-How-To-Apply
              Forum Admin

Comment

well ideally salvage, cable laying something complex. But also the passage side i.e. cargo or passenger service interests me.

Basically being at sea is what I love, so the rotation side of things really appeals to me. Slogging it out for a few months to have a month off and start again. I prefer that method of crewing as opposed to 7 months away, then 6 sat alongside followed by 2 months of training and away again.

Comment

Might be worth having a look at SSTG. They place with some interesting companies, including survey, cable, offshore etc. With SSTG, you go for an interview, get accepted by SSTG and then allocated a company (sometimes with a second interview).

http://www.sstg.org/
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X