Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself after my warm welcome from 'CharlieDelta' elsewhere in the forum

My name's Jack (as you probably gathered ), I'm 16, and I'm originally from Ireland (County Wexford), but moved to Britain a few years ago. I've always wanted to go to sea, and I start my training as a deck cadet in Septembers intake at Fleetwood Nautical College, with Seatruck Ferries.

We've always had a boat, and aside from that my other main interest is playing the accordion. I've been playing for around 5 years now, although it's hard to find the time for it these days . I currently do some voluntary work here at the National Coastwatch (Rossall Point), and I've done a few other courses at the Nautical College like the Day Skipper, and my GMDSS Short Range certificate, as I thought it would be a good idea to get some theory under my belt before joining the MN

Kind Regards,
    Jack.

Welcome and enjoy...remember there are no stupid questions, the answers on the other hand............
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

Hey Jack,

I'm originally from south Dublin, moved to Courtown Harbour in 2000 (family still live there) and then moved to the UK in 2006.

Good to hear from you and look forward to seeing you about the forum.

CD
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Hi CD,

I was actually born in Dublin myself, but my parents were living in Wexford at the time and that was where I spent the majority of my time in Ireland, although I did have a spell in Tipperary as well Haha.

Thanks for the warm welcome CD, Steamer and Chiefy!

Jack.

Comment

Haha! I race a seatruck ferry in every day at the moment! And look longingly at Dublin from my cabin window.....

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

S4, nearly booked on SA for a few weeks ago but ended up on that yucky Irish Ferries fast... thing. Should have gone on SA in retrospect - British and Irish crew!

Your anchor box is REALLY rusty though... And you lot swing at warp speed - scary!
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

We rock! And we are all shiney and new now, having just come out of drydock!! (The Captain's major priority now when berthing is don't [email protected] up the paintwork!!!) It still amazes me how much we heel over with only 5 degrees helm on. (Lots of fun though )

Its too late for you to come see me now, I get off on monday, I'd have shown you round and everything *Is now sulking cos you went to the other boat*

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Awww darn it, nice ship too, been on her a few times. Got into the Plus lounge free last time after I went to reception for a wifi code and they actually knew who Carnival UK were (from my jacket).

Would love to give ferries a shot some time, particularly Irish Sea. Maybe when I've got my ticket and I'm still fresh-faced and keen I'll do some relief work on my leave. Stena Europe down in Fishguard is actually the whole reason I ended up researching this career and going for it lol.

In saying that, I would like to apologise on behalf of the entire Irish people for allowing the dregs of Irish society to board your ship. The Irish equivalent of "chavs" seem to love a little trip on the "boat".
                  sigpic

Comment

Really?! Ye gods, it's a fun crew to be with, but back and forth across the Irish sea isn't exactly what I had in mind when I joined the MN!! (There's no rum...)

Size4riggerboots

Comment

I don't think I could chuck the whole cruise ship thing in but suppose it's something different for either relief work or when/if you want to stay closer to home later on. Plus I hear the Stena and Irish Ferries types make lots of money. Masters ticket, Dublin/Holyhead PECs, lots of ship-handling experience - they must be earning a mint.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X