Aspiring Deck Cadet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring Deck Cadet!

Hi, I'm 16 and have been interested in a career as a deck cadet for quite a while now! I've applied to both Clyde Marine and SSTG, Clyde has asked me for an interview but I haven't heard back from SSTG. I was wondering if anyone knows typically how long SSTG takes to respond, just so I know when to assume my application has been unsuccessful if they don't get back to me. I was also wondering if my age, being 16, limits the opportunities for me? The companies and types of ships etc, do some only take people who are over 18?

Thought I would post now I've applied, I've been on this forum a while and have found it useful to answer many of my questions. All the best!

It can take a little while to hear back from any of the training providers from what I understand, so I wouldn't worry at all. If Clyde has already asked you for an interview, it would definitely be worth going anyway, even if just to get a feel for the kind of things they'll be asking.

Being under 18 shouldn't be a problem as far as I know, there may be somebody else here that's got experience with that though - I've applied much later on, but from what I've read here it should be fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
      It can take a little while to hear back from any of the training providers from what I understand, so I wouldn't worry at all. If Clyde has already asked you for an interview, it would definitely be worth going anyway, even if just to get a feel for the kind of things they'll be asking.

Being under 18 shouldn't be a problem as far as I know, there may be somebody else here that's got experience with that though - I've applied much later on, but from what I've read here it should be fine!
      Thanks. I am hoping that if companies tend to only take people over 18 it’s because they want people with more experience working or something like that, rather than it being for legal reasons. I managed to get a couple days experience on a ROPAX ferry, so hopefully they could level the playing field a bit.

Comment

We had 16 year olds on our course, but they all turned 17 within the first few months. Then when we went to sea I believe they couldn’t go until they were 18 but I’m not 100% on this, which means they would have had to wait a few months when the rest of us went away.

They’re not really looking for experience, it’s a course designed for anybody with the minimum grades. So don’t feel like you’ll have less chance for being young when it comes to life experience and work experience. It may however stop cruise companies from hiring you as they have some odd rules regarding age for various reasons, primarily alcohol related.

Your small experience on ROPAX will probably help you immensely, as it means you’re probably 400% more experienced at sea than everyone else going to interview! If you want to work on ROPAX, be sure to try and get with SSTG and tell them early on you’re primarily interested in ROPAX (and have a good reason for it), they’ve helped several keen ones onto P&O Ferries/Seatrucks books before.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
          We had 16 year olds on our course, but they all turned 17 within the first few months. Then when we went to sea I believe they couldn’t go until they were 18 but I’m not 100% on this, which means they would have had to wait a few months when the rest of us went away.
          I went to sea at 17, a mate went at 16. I think under MLC you can only do night work if it's important to your training. Which you could argue it always is. My age didn't restrict my opportunities.

You shouldn't assume you've been unsuccessful. Call them and chase it up.

Comment

Yeah we've had 17 year olds on here recently so there's certainly no restriction on that although as per above there is a section on young people at sea under MLC which gives different hours of rest etc but it isn't a massive issue.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

They’re not really looking for experience, it’s a course designed for anybody with the minimum grades. So don’t feel like you’ll have less chance for being young when it comes to life experience and work experience. It may however stop cruise companies from hiring you as they have some odd rules regarding age for various reasons, primarily alcohol related.

Your small experience on ROPAX will probably help you immensely, as it means you’re probably 400% more experienced at sea than everyone else going to interview! If you want to work on ROPAX, be sure to try and get with SSTG and tell them early on you’re primarily interested in ROPAX (and have a good reason for it), they’ve helped several keen ones onto P&O Ferries/Seatrucks books before.
              I would be 17 by the time the course started in September, but only just. The friends of mine who have done the course were mostly 17 but all turned 18 before going to sea, and others were older anyway. It’s not that I have a sole interest in ROPAX just that I live in Shetland so that was the best way to get experience! The guys onboard were all giving me jobs to do that they thought would help me be able to answer job based questions in any interviews I may have, which was great I thought.
              I’ve applied to SSTG but have yet to hear back, but if they do and I manage to reach a stage of requesting sponsors, I think I would definitely choose P&O Ferries. It seems like I would have a solid training experience which a chance of a good job at the end of it.
              Thanks for your reply and help!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob44 View Post

I went to sea at 17, a mate went at 16. I think under MLC you can only do night work if it's important to your training. Which you could argue it always is. My age didn't restrict my opportunities.

You shouldn't assume you've been unsuccessful. Call them and chase it up.
                I was thinking about that but I thought I should just leave it until after the New Year, as maybe with it being so close to Christmas, they may be short staffed or out of office for the festive period. I was also looking at other sponsors, BP for example, who haven’t started their application process for 2020, so maybe that’s the same for SSTG. Regardless, remaining positive and glad to have an interview coming up with Clyde Marine!

Comment

Working...
                X