Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new here any advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm new here any advice?

    Hello everyone its great to be part of this forum.

    This may be unusual or random but I am 24 and completing my degree in Business at the moment. However I have always been interested in a career at sea and the lifestyle sort of appeals to me.

    I think I would be well suited to being a deck officer as I have management and team-working experience, worked with people from different cultures, have also spent extensive time away from home and I have a keen sense of adventure.

    This is something I would rather pursue now before I get any older or its too late.

    Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Abs

  • #2
    24 is still young, there are lots of that age group, there have been cadets much older, I’m sure 52 was the oldest I can recall.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm near my 30's and doing it as a change of career.

      Just completed my first sea phase and I miss it already! Even though at the end of it (5 months), I was ready to leave as I was a bit burnt out.

      It's going to be an intense 3 years of your life if you do decide to change, but for me, it's worth it as the salary will be excellent (compared to what I was doing previously), the time off will be great, and the lifestyle is awesome (I'm in cruise). If you are like me, then not having to think about what to prepare to eat, where to stay and doing the dreaded commute , just focusing on the job, then you'll enjoy those aspects of it!

      If you go cruise, you'll need the management and team working aspect as there can be a lot of cross departmental liaison which can be tricky to navigate, but I enjoy that anyway. Otherwise, the feeling of being in charge of a massive steel structure with all the operational side of things is amazing. You can get a lot of nay sayers and moany people at sea, but that's just seafarers for you! Otherwise you'll make close friends with people and even consider them family if you end up returning to the same ship; the camaraderie and unity can be excellent, compared to any other job on land.

      The only thing I'd say is that going to sea is an adventure and with that, brings crap too. You'll hate working with someone, but you'll eventually realise that your patience has increased lots and that it's actually not so bad, you just grow stronger in comparison.

      Anyway, any other questions, fire away in PM or here!

      Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Midge View Post
        24 is still young, there are lots of that age group, there have been cadets much older, I’m sure 52 was the oldest I can recall.
        Hi. Thank you very much! I guess I still have plenty of time then. Thanks again!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by riker View Post
          I'm near my 30's and doing it as a change of career.

          Just completed my first sea phase and I miss it already! Even though at the end of it (5 months), I was ready to leave as I was a bit burnt out.

          It's going to be an intense 3 years of your life if you do decide to change, but for me, it's worth it as the salary will be excellent (compared to what I was doing previously), the time off will be great, and the lifestyle is awesome (I'm in cruise). If you are like me, then not having to think about what to prepare to eat, where to stay and doing the dreaded commute , just focusing on the job, then you'll enjoy those aspects of it!

          If you go cruise, you'll need the management and team working aspect as there can be a lot of cross departmental liaison which can be tricky to navigate, but I enjoy that anyway. Otherwise, the feeling of being in charge of a massive steel structure with all the operational side of things is amazing. You can get a lot of nay sayers and moany people at sea, but that's just seafarers for you! Otherwise you'll make close friends with people and even consider them family if you end up returning to the same ship; the camaraderie and unity can be excellent, compared to any other job on land.

          The only thing I'd say is that going to sea is an adventure and with that, brings crap too. You'll hate working with someone, but you'll eventually realise that your patience has increased lots and that it's actually not so bad, you just grow stronger in comparison.

          Anyway, any other questions, fire away in PM or here!

          Good luck!
          Hi thanks very much for your response. Yes I think cruise would be what I would be best suited to. I agree I think the time on and time off is very attractive and beats a 9-5 job. I would relish the intense 3 years as I think it would definitely be worth it in the long term to build such a good career.

          Yes I have got half decent management and team-work skills but always looking to improve and this. Haha yeh there's moaney people in every workplace just part of work I suppose!

          Thanks again for taking time to respond. I'll shoot you a PM if I think of anything else!

          Abs

          Comment


          • #6
            I started my cadetship at 24 and it was the best decision I ever made.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dotc0m View Post
              I started my cadetship at 24 and it was the best decision I ever made.
              Hi thanks for your response great to hear from you.

              Its really reassuring to hear of people starting in their 20s

              May I ask what company you trained with and what college?

              Abs

              Comment


              • #8
                Most of my class were older than me and I was 18 when I started, I think most were in their early to mid twenties with one nearing his thirties by time we left. I trained at STC, and my sponsor was Clyde. People complain about Clyde but my experience with them wasn't AWFUL. I would still highly recommend you go with someone else if you're able, try to find a company who are actually interested in taking you on after you qualify.

                Comment

                Working...
                X