Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suck at introductions

Hi all,
    I'm an engineering cadet sponsored by North Star Shipping (I never knew the reputation til I was in too deep)
    Been lurking the forum for a while, never had to post anything but I imagine I will soon.
    My cadetship is due to end round about New Years.
    Could do with any advice going about getting my foot on the ladder after my Orals.

Looking forward to it!

Hi there,

First of all, good luck for your orals! I have recently passed my orals at the start of September and I was offered no job at the end of my Cadetship (was sponsored by Trinity House so no direct shipping company). I was sending out my C.V. and Cover Letter to all shipping companies and agencies, informing them of my Oral date etc and I found that the best thing to do. I contacted agencies like Seamariner, Clyde Recruit, Seaworthy Consulting, WRS, Viking Recruitment, V-ships and Genesis Personnel. I also contacted Shipping Companies directly, filling out general open applications and specific engineering vacancies. I searched for around a month in total before being offered a temporary 4 week trip. Another important thing to have is LinkedIn. This allows you to search for jobs which are often posted on there before the actual websites. If you can also try and get someone in the maritime industry to look into your CV and Cover Letter and make sure its up to scratch. Persistance pays off!

Liam
    Unlimited Class III/1 Engineer Officer of the Watch

Comment

Congrats on getting through the orals, Liam. The advice is much appreciated! Sorting out my CV again just now actually, before tackling LinkedIn.

Comment

Working...
      X