Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got a place! Can you answer my questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a place! Can you answer my questions?

Originally posted by Archetypebias View Post
    I understand these questions have most likely been asked and answered elsewhere on this forum however I’m not an archaeologist and don’t have the time to search.
    I have answers but I'm not a secretary and don't the time to type them out.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgesc View Post

I have answers but I'm not a secretary and don't the time to type them out.

I thought the same thing, the OP is going to be popular at college and especially sea with opening statements like that!

Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Originally posted by Archetypebias View Post
        Alright boys and girls, I’ve recently been offered a place on the COGC Deck Officer Cadetship with Clyde Marine Training and I have a few question for you. I understand these questions have most likely been asked and answered elsewhere on this forum however I’m not an archaeologist and don’t have the time to search.

1. Can you give me a run through of what the HNC route entails and how the phases are split up?
        2. Is the SAAS non means tested sum of ~£5000 split into the three years or is this sum given out every year of the course?
        3. Is it worth doing the HND after I’ve completed the HNC?
        4. As I’m with CMT who would you suggest I pick for my three potential sponsors if I want to work on deep sea vessels. I understand I might not get my desired pick.
        5. Which sponsors are most likely to hire me after graduation.
        6. I’m 24 and don’t really want to have another spell in student halls, if I decide not to stay in halls will I feel isolated from the class. (read, will I miss out on the crack)
        7. Is it cheaper to stay in the halls? I understand they are a hoora pricey but do you still have to pay for halls during your sea phases?
        8. Can you suggest several must read book titles?
        9. What sort of motley crew are normally on the HNC course?
        10. What tips can you give me to ensure I’m enployable after graduation?
        11. How many cadets with Clyde marine get their desired sponsors?
        12. How many presentations will I have to do during the course?
        13. What is the current/future most employable sector in the maritime industry, preferably deep sea.
        14. What size is the class?
        15. How would you describe your study experience?

Thats all the questions I have just now. If you’ve been so gracious to answer my question then it’s greatly appreciated.

Repost for a larger audince. Not trying to spam I just want a few solid replies.
        The first question is asked of you in your Clyde Marine Interview, as most if not all companies expect you to have done some research on your future career before hand.

In general OP, asking 24 questions in the one go is not going elicit many positive responses on this forum. I understand you were probably trying to come across as humourous, but this career requires a fair amount of initiative and self-determination, and people will call you out if you aren't going to put in a bit of effort.

CMT sponsors don't tend to employ afterwards unless you are with Northern Marine/Some of the Cruise companies. And you have to do a few presentations as part of the entirely boring but actually really useful COPPA portion of your course. And my study experience so far has been great; you just have to put the work in!

Comment

Also using the search function on this forum provides many answers, and indeed you will find a wealth of experience in them by reading a few threads.

For SAAS. https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/funding_guide.pdf

Comment

I realise you deleted your original post but thought I'd try and be helpful, not everyone here is bitter and twisted...

1. Can you give me a run through of what the HNC route entails and how the phases are split up? HNC is the the easiest route but not looked down upon as being "low". I'm not a decky so can't describe your exact route/what you'll study. I believe you'll do phase one in college for a while, 2 at sea, 3 back in college for your HNC studies/exams, 4 back at sea and 5 back at college for MCA exam prep.
            2. Is the SAAS non means tested sum of ~£5000 split into the three years or is this sum given out every year of the course? Don't know, sorry.
            3. Is it worth doing the HND after I’ve completed the HNC? Probably not, it'll be six months where you're not working at sea gaining experience which is the most important thing. You won't be more employable with an HND. You'll just need to study a little bit harder if you decide to do your Chief Officer's ticket later on.
            4. As I’m with CMT who would you suggest I pick for my three potential sponsors if I want to work on deep sea vessels. I understand I might not get my desired pick. Don't just put cruise ship companies as everyone that does that seems to get Zodiac. Don't pick Zodiac either... Most CMT deep sea sponsors are just as good as the other.
            5. Which sponsors are most likely to hire me after graduation. Not deep sea sponsors. CalMac are likely and so are Gulfmark, Scilly Steam, Disney, Northern Marine, NCL, Royal Carib, Red Funnel, Northlink, Regent, Vroon.
            6. I’m 24 and don’t really want to have another spell in student halls, if I decide not to stay in halls will I feel isolated from the class. (read, will I miss out on the crack) No you won't miss out, you tend to go on nights out with your mates whether they're halls, living with parents or renting.
            7. Is it cheaper to stay in the halls? I understand they are a hoora pricey but do you still have to pay for halls during your sea phases? If you're in Warsash then halls will be cheaper, anywhere else then renting with someone else is cheapest. You don't pay for halls when you're at sea.
            8. Can you suggest several must read book titles? No, I didn't read anything before I started and haven't read anything now I've finished.
            9. What sort of motley crew are normally on the HNC course? Anything from chavvy school leavers to posh kids to guys in their 50s to rich Arabs to Indians studying in the UK to just normal people.
            10. What tips can you give me to ensure I’m enployable after graduation? Be lucky enough to get with one of the companies in question 5, otherwise you'll be fighting like everyone else.
            11. How many cadets with Clyde marine get their desired sponsors? Very few as everyone puts three cruise companies which might only be offering 2 cadetships between them. I put two ferry companies and one deep sea and got a ferry sponsor with CMT.
            12. How many presentations will I have to do during the course? You will do no presentations unless it's some weird team building rubbish.
            13. What is the current/future most employable sector in the maritime industry, preferably deep sea. Cruise ships are being built rapidly so lots of jobs for qualified people. Others I'm not sure.
            14. What size is the class? Not huge, a maximum of 20 probably. You'll likely be split into "levels" so people who struggle with maths will be together and wizzkids will be together.
            15. How would you describe your study experience? Cadetship was good fun at college and at sea, qualified life is good.

Comment

er excuse me I’m not bitter and twisted!
              Ill add re your answer about presentations that on FD course at one college, ( no idea what others do) they did a presentation to invited industry people as part of their FD. They used their research and work for their dissertation and received questions from the guests. It formed part of the marks too. It’s quiet common to do a presentation as part of a degree course, and for it to be marked.

Comment

Working...
              X