Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi everyone.

I'm Eddie, aged 26 and I'm from Glasgow. At the moment I am trying my hardest (ie: filled in a load of forms and waiting around impatiently) to become an engine cadet.

Up till now I have been self employed as an electrical engineer and inspector, holding City and Guilds qualifications (2382-20 and 2391-10). I have been working for myself since I was 19 and the past few years has led me to hate it. Might have been the recession, might just be the general stress of being self employed, whatever it is .. I have had a belly-full. So upon searching for career change options I decided that the Merchant Navy was for me. It was something that I considered when I was about 17 or 18 but didn't fancy being away from home that young.

I have had respect and love for the maritime industries for as far back as I can remember, obviously stemming from my families links to the Glasgow shipbuilding yards. My dad was a labourer on the yards, my grandad was a welder and I had an uncle who was a red leader. The 3 of them were forever telling tales (my dad still does) of what went on and what they did back in the day. My earliest memory was my grandad taking me to the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988 and taking me on board a ship or ferry or something. I believe it to have been P&O's St Sunniva, but not 100% sure as I remember him taking me down to the engine room and not sure if P&O would have had some kind of 'open day' on her. So, if anyone was at the festival and remembers any vessels having an open day please let me know.

Anyway, enough about me...Hello again!
    "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Re: Hello!

Hello, welcome and the likes, no idea about the festival thingy though
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

My gran remembers! She says it was the Waverley, which is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world.
      "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

been on that 2 years ago when I was laid up in loch Striven was a nice trip out
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Well to be honest I was only six or seven when I was on board it, so, memory is fuzzy. I only really remember flashes of the engine rooms.

Comment

Working...
          X