Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everybody

Hello Everyone
    I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself so here goes..
    My name is Ryan and I'm from South Shields and hope to be a engine cadet.

I have applied to SSTG and have been for a Interview and passed that and have sent off my company preferences and has anyone got any info/experiences on North star Shipping or even any info on sealion?

Also will North Star make me move away from Shields as I was told I may have to move to warsash when I went to the SSTG interview
    Thanks
    Ryan

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
    [center:ytwwp52g]work at something you enjoy and is worthy of your time and effort!![/center:ytwwp52g]

Re: Hi everybody

Welcome Ryan,
    Any company may send you to any college, as it see's fit / requires, BUT they do it for a reason......to get you used to being away from home and being with strangers and basically giving you a mini taste of whats to come.

Some companies though "may" let you stop at home, however that tends to be for older cadets who have thier own place and possible a family of thier own (wife, husband, kids or similar) in which case there are other things to consider rather than getting you used to being away.

So yes and no is the answer...not most helpful I know but it depends on many many things.

Dont forget Shields has an open day soon dont know the details so if a Shields cadet pops in they'll mention it, have a look in the Industry news section think theres a post there about it, anyway go along to that, there will be lots of companies and info available, and a few people from here will be swimming for your amusement
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Morning Ryan,

Shields open day is 4th of Feb, representatives from some sponsor companies and training organisations plus a chance to chat to some of the current Officer Cadets. Would definitely be worth a trip there seen as you are already in Shields!

See you soon
      Luck......Preperation times Opportunity.

Comment

hello Chiefy and Rowdy
        I am definatly going to attend this open day and have mentioned this to my engineering college tutor who has asked the head of the marine engineering department at STC for the details and they have now been passed to myself.
        Hopefully SSTG will get back to me soon regarding college choices.
        [center:ytwwp52g]work at something you enjoy and is worthy of your time and effort!![/center:ytwwp52g]

Comment

Cool, well I also applied to SSTG and had my interview in November so I will keep you updated if I hear anything then it might give you a better idea of time scales

Comment

I went for a interview with SSTG at the beginning of Jan. Also my friend wnt for a interview with SSTG in December and has just heard back off the training officer today ( well about 10 mis ago) about what companys want what. So we should hear quite soon.

Comment

Yeah that's pretty much what I know, I got an email last week saying what companies want what! Just a case of waiting now I believe.

Comment

I have just got the email there detailing what the companies want. Looks like if you want North Star then you will have to study at GCNS for the duration and live in the halls there. I just need to get back to the recruitment officer at SSTG now.

Comment

So what you doing on here Get on the phone asap
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

What does anyone think of Boston Puford and OOCL any good bad experiences as I have been offered places at both. Depending on outcome of a company interview. I think that I am swayed towards North Star though.It does not matter that i will have to move to the halls of residence at glasgow as i will do anything to pursue a career in the merchant navy and i think that it will be good experience to get used to living away from home.

Comment

Working...
                    X