Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: .... . .-.. .-.. ---!

Hello everyone!

I'm currently a sixth form student living in East Devon, studying History, Politics and Religion Philosophy and Ethics.

The Naval theme has been something that goes back several generations in my family on either side (father was a shipwright at Plymouth, Uncle was in the Merchant Navy himself and my Grandad was a Comms Officer in the RN) but I'd never really looked at a maritime career before now. I don't quite know why myself but it just hadn't crossed my mind. Instead I was directed (thanks in part to my school and my parents) to go the more academic route for a career through University. Uni is looking less and less attractive by the month, but the Merchant Navy has inspired an interest within me that I never knew I had.

I'm hoping to apply (through SSTG, Clyde Marine Training etc) for a Cadet(ship?) starting Sept 2011. I have a lot of work ahead of me in terms of Sixth Form College and building up Maritime knowledge as well as getting my head around the various aspects of becoming a MN Officer so I fear a fair few questions may be launched from my account onto the forums (soz ).

So I say hello to you all and I hope I don't bug you too much with my mountain of questions to come

Re: Transmission: .... . .-.. .-.. ---!

Removed
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Well it's Religion, Philosophy and Ethics as one subject. I chose it as I liked the subject and it's something which I quite like to discuss and debate about through various means. I know it's not everyones cuppa tea and of course it has little bearing in the naval sense but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
        They do A-Levels in Ethics? Religious Philosophy?
        They do degrees in them too!
        You are correct in their application at sea, indeed politics and religion are generally taboo discussion subjects.

Comment

D-Triv,
          Welcome aboard.
          Have you A-Levels or GCSE passes in Maths or Physics? They're the subjects you'll require for acceptance and those which you'll find yourself using practically, regardless of whether you chose the Deck Side or go 'below'.

Comment

Yes, I have GCSE's (Ranging B to A grade) in Maths and Physics so I'm okay there I think.

The only issue I have is that I wear glasses but my prescription is 6/32 and the unaided limit for visual acuity is 6/60.

Oh and I'd not dream of getting into religious/political debates with fellow crewmates for obvious reasons, I'll reserve those for my poor bro back at home

Comment

Removed

Comment

Ethics? I learnt my ethics growing up, why do we need to teach them to a-level standard?
                Probably because some parents don't teach their kids anything, i.e. ethics, manners and personal responsibility.

Comment

If your eyesight is bad, but you still want to said then perhaps engineering is the way to go.

The standard is 6/60. Had to check it meself the other day
                  "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Originally posted by malim sahib
                    Originally posted by guinnessman
                    ethics? I learnt my ethics growing up, why do we need to teach them to a-level standard?
                    probably because some parents don't teach their kids anything, i.e. Ethics, manners and personal responsibility.
                    removed

Comment

Well RPE (Religion, Philosophy, Ethics) doesn't aim to teach you manners, right from wrong etc etc, it introduces you to a vast amount of theories and forms of reasoning in the various areas. It also (along with History and Politics which I study) helps with collating information, organising and constructing arguments as well as analysing and studying source material and information. No substitute for life experience of course but you learn different things from life.

Anyway, less about me, more about you

Guinness, how long have you been a qualified engineer for?

Comment

Some of my folks think we should bring National Service back in.
                        For prospective parents?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                          For prospective parents?
                          Put it this way, if we ever needed urban warfare we just rope a load of the local muppet show up. Come ready equipped with their own 'urban camoflage'(shell suit) and weapons(fruit knife, screwdriver, low IQ etc..)
                          "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Originally posted by Ash
                            Originally posted by Steve
                            For prospective parents?
                            Put it this way, if we ever needed urban warfare we just rope a load of the local muppet show up. Come ready equipped with their own 'urban camoflage'(shell suit) and weapons(fruit knife, screwdriver, low IQ etc..)
                            Shank ye blud!

Comment

Working...
                            X