Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all Sailors! An aspiring Engine Cadet here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all Sailors! An aspiring Engine Cadet here...

Hello all!

My journey with the marine world (and seriously thinking about working at sea) started back in the summer of 2016 when I went on a holiday to Mallorca to see my friend who at the time was working as a deckie on a private yacht. I've made some amazing memories all around the island, but towards the end of my holiday he invited me to help and work with him for a couple of days doing general cleaning and polishing. This sparked my interest in the industry, having worked in an office environment since the age of 18 (23 at the time of writing this post) it looked like something very different and far more exciting than customer services/sales jobs I've been doing so far. (I've been climbing up the ladder and gaining experience from all these jobs and met some fantastic people, but it always felt like just something I've "landed" in, I think because I didn't have any specific school qualifications, the A-levels and BTECs I've achieved were all leading into quite different industries as I didn't quite know what I'd like to do as a career as a 16 y/o self).

I've lived by the seaside since the age of 13 and could never move away to a place further away from it.

Some time has passed and my friend started telling me about how he's making really decent money but he would like to learn more about the industry, he's found out about the Cadetship scheme, he applied through Clyde and got in as a cadet in Fleetwood last September. I myself decided to go to the open day at Warsash back in June last year, which I think (and hope) will be a milestone to look back later on in life - it was a truly exciting experience to meet cadets, experienced sailors, captains and speak with different companies about the careers at sea. I remember coming home that day and thinking to myself; "wow, I've never been sure what kind of career I'd like in my life, but this feels just so right!".

I too am interested in becoming a Marine Engineering Cadet, have already applied through different companies and waiting to hear back about interviews, in the meantime I am polishing my maths skills (did my Maths GCSE back in 2009) and watching a lot of youtube videos from JeffHK and others who give a lot of information about the industry and tell amazing experiences from working at sea. At this stage (if I am successful at getting in), I would love to work on a Container or a Tanker vessel, however I will still be happy and excited to be accepted for a Cruise Ship also! I am both equally nervous and excited about the recruitment process for a Cadetship, but even if I don't succeed for a September 2018 start I will ask for help and guidance to start in January 2019!

Anyway - sorry for the long introduction, but I thought I'd tell you a little bit about myself!

now awaiting TLDR comments...

Just read your post I’ve currently just applied for Clyde in Glasgow, got an email back today.

All the best bud

Comment

If it's what you want to do keep at it. I am 30 and just been accepted for Engine cadet so it's never too late

Comment

Originally posted by Cammyrutherford View Post
        Just read your post I’ve currently just applied for Clyde in Glasgow, got an email back today.

All the best bud
        Well done Cammy, good luck in your recruitment process!

Originally posted by Delhoncho View Post
        If it's what you want to do keep at it. I am 30 and just been accepted for Engine cadet so it's never too late
        Thanks Delhoncho! Age is but a number! What company did you apply with and which college?

Comment

Hi Gabe, how did you get on? If your interested in warsash i reccomend chiltern maritime i applied late (june 2018) and was offered a cadetship at warsash starting september 2018 with maersk supply service as my sponsor. They have been very supportive and the small training officer team there are fantastic. If you werent successful i strongly advise giving them a look.

Comment

Working...
          X