Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahoy all!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ahoy all!

    Good evening to all!

    I'm going to be starting at Glasgow in September to do the NC in Shipping and Maritime Operations and from there, hopefully with some hard work and determination, I'll be able to earn and complete a Cadetship on the Deck side of things with a company!

    Having recently had a reality check with regards to my current level of maths skills in preparation for starting, I know that it's gonna be tough for me on that side of things as I never done well in School with that subject. However I'm confident that my enthusiasm for a better career at the age of 27 and my resolution to prove that I can do it for myself, will give me a helping hand! I have signed up for the Marine Society maths skills thingymajigy and I'm working my way through that to bring myself up-to speed as much as possible.

    I already know that the job situation for newly qualified officers is tricky, but I'm willing to take a risk and give it my best shot because the potential career is too much to turn down if I have the opportunity. I tend to hope for the best and maintain a positive attitude when it comes to things like this, if anything, I'll be over the moon if in 4 years I am a certified OOW. Previously have worked as a Scuba Diving Instructor and I never thought in a million years I could do that because I was **** scared of the water before I even tried diving! Going from that level to someone who was responsible for other peoples lives when training others and being a mentor up really 'gave' me something, brought out undiscovered qualities and my life overall has improved ever since that, even if I don't work in that role anymore (crappy pay!).

    Eventually aiming for a cadetship with a Ferry company and I'm thinking someone like P&O or CalMac would be ideal. The employment prospects and working pattern are what draws me to that side of things, along with being responsible for the passengers and the frequency of arrivals/departures (although to be fair, I have no context to judge on that side of things - it just sounds like a good thing to have under ones belt when you are doing it all the time!)

    Anyway, I've spoken too long about myself! It's been great reading others stories and journeys about the realities of working at sea and such, so cheers for now and maybe I'll sail with one of you guys/gals in the future!

  • #2
    Originally posted by riker View Post
    Good evening to all!

    I'm going to be starting at Glasgow in September to do the NC in Shipping and Maritime Operations and from there, hopefully with some hard work and determination, I'll be able to earn and complete a Cadetship on the Deck side of things with a company!

    Having recently had a reality check with regards to my current level of maths skills in preparation for starting, I know that it's gonna be tough for me on that side of things as I never done well in School with that subject. However I'm confident that my enthusiasm for a better career at the age of 27 and my resolution to prove that I can do it for myself, will give me a helping hand! I have signed up for the Marine Society maths skills thingymajigy and I'm working my way through that to bring myself up-to speed as much as possible.

    I already know that the job situation for newly qualified officers is tricky, but I'm willing to take a risk and give it my best shot because the potential career is too much to turn down if I have the opportunity. I tend to hope for the best and maintain a positive attitude when it comes to things like this, if anything, I'll be over the moon if in 4 years I am a certified OOW. Previously have worked as a Scuba Diving Instructor and I never thought in a million years I could do that because I was **** scared of the water before I even tried diving! Going from that level to someone who was responsible for other peoples lives when training others and being a mentor up really 'gave' me something, brought out undiscovered qualities and my life overall has improved ever since that, even if I don't work in that role anymore (crappy pay!).

    Eventually aiming for a cadetship with a Ferry company and I'm thinking someone like P&O or CalMac would be ideal. The employment prospects and working pattern are what draws me to that side of things, along with being responsible for the passengers and the frequency of arrivals/departures (although to be fair, I have no context to judge on that side of things - it just sounds like a good thing to have under ones belt when you are doing it all the time!)

    Anyway, I've spoken too long about myself! It's been great reading others stories and journeys about the realities of working at sea and such, so cheers for now and maybe I'll sail with one of you guys/gals in the future!

    I know exactly how you feel mate, I left school at 16 with poor maths skills because all I wanted to do was be a fisherman, after doing that for 4 years standing on the deck on night in a force 9 gale tailing prawns thought what am I doing here, fell into the tug industry, cut forward 10 years, at 29 have just been given a cadetship by maersk for EOOW, keep at it if you want it you will get it, that maths at sea was a right wee bitch, I got some GCSE maths texts and slowly started remembering stuff from school,
    Good luck with it hope it pays off for you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Rilker,

      Welcome aboard! Good to see another cadet joining around the 26/27 mark. I'm just finishing phase one now - I recently wrote a post about what maths would be worth brushing up on before starting (it's here) so feel free to give that a read if you fancy. All I'll say is, assuming your tutor is capable and you're willing to work hard (which it sounds like you are) then you should be fine - nothing has come up in exams that hadn't been taught in class so keep your head screwed on and you'll be alright!
      27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

      My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cally View Post
        I know exactly how you feel mate, I left school at 16 with poor maths skills because all I wanted to do was be a fisherman, after doing that for 4 years standing on the deck on night in a force 9 gale tailing prawns thought what am I doing here, fell into the tug industry, cut forward 10 years, at 29 have just been given a cadetship by maersk for EOOW, keep at it if you want it you will get it, that maths at sea was a right wee bitch, I got some GCSE maths texts and slowly started remembering stuff from school,
        Good luck with it hope it pays off for you


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Cheers mate yeah, I'm gonna have my heid stuck in a maths book for the foreseeable future! But it's worth it and an investment into my future (not the attitude I had when I was in school, that's for sure!!)

        Well done though man, Maersk sound like one of the best from what I've seen so far!! You are in a good position and I'm sure you will make it count

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheers dude, honestly never thought in a million years I'd be in this position hard work dedication and passion does pay off, and when you get your NC you'll be in an outstanding position [emoji1360]
          all the best man


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
            Hi Rilker,

            Welcome aboard! Good to see another cadet joining around the 26/27 mark. I'm just finishing phase one now - I recently wrote a post about what maths would be worth brushing up on before starting (it's here) so feel free to give that a read if you fancy. All I'll say is, assuming your tutor is capable and you're willing to work hard (which it sounds like you are) then you should be fine - nothing has come up in exams that hadn't been taught in class so keep your head screwed on and you'll be alright!
            Cheers Seaboundbysunrise!

            I had seen your blog before actually mate! When I had noticed that Trig and other such long forgotten concepts were to be fundamental, I figured it'd be a good idea to start revising now ha! Sounds like phase one will be a tough one academically. I think it's a good idea that I'm taking an extra year to get up to speed anyway!

            Aye, being in our late 20's will have it's advantages and disadvantages. Don't know about you, but my hangovers are rank rotten nowadays, even with 'only' two pints of the beer! All the more reason to study more instead, right! In all seriousness, science nowadays say that the brain is pretty good at adapting, even as we age, so the old saying "You can't teach a old dog new tricks" might not be all that true. Neuroplasticity they call it!

            Comment


            • #7
              Agreed, my recovery time is definitely not what it was haha. But at the end of the day, the social side of college is what you make it. If you've given yourself a year then you should be fine, that's plenty of time. The first phase is very academic but there's not much you can do about it really - that's just the name of the game. It sounds like you've done your research though and know what to expect!
              27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

              My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, you are studying the NC off your own back then looking for a cadetship after? Is that course the course cadets do in their college time? Or is that a basic course and the cadetship college qualification is a different, upper level one?

                P&O Ferries are indeed a good company to have under your belt. Navigating extremely busy shipping lanes, entering/departing port every 2 hours is good experience and loading the ship a few times per watch is also good experience. Other ferry companies are also good I believe. Plus it's week on week off and good money...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi, we are somewhat in the same boat. However I can't do an NC this far south. However gotta go back and get my gcse English sorted. So who knows maybe I will see you next September when we will both hopefully be starting cadetships

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                    Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, you are studying the NC off your own back then looking for a cadetship after? Is that course the course cadets do in their college time? Or is that a basic course and the cadetship college qualification is a different, upper level one?

                    P&O Ferries are indeed a good company to have under your belt. Navigating extremely busy shipping lanes, entering/departing port every 2 hours is good experience and loading the ship a few times per watch is also good experience. Other ferry companies are also good I believe. Plus it's week on week off and good money...
                    Hi agibbs98,

                    The NC from what I understood at my interview essentially seems to be a whole year of phase one academic stuff, meaning for me that it will be a more gradual introduction to that side of things which is helpful. From there, they (Glasgow Nautical College) will arrange an interview for a Cadetship with a training provider if you successfully complete the course, going onto the Scottish Professional Diploma. I'm going to assume that training provider will be CMT, though I would also like to try and apply to the ferry companies directly once completed. I do know that CMT have the ferries as an option if you go with them, but I also know that it's a bit pot luck in getting your choice!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So your doing a version of the pre cadetship. This was trialled by STC. Now is making an appeareance in Fleetwood and Glasgow

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        First of all, welcome ro the forum and good luck with the course.

                        Try the BBC website learning section and have a look at the GCSE maths revision info on there.

                        Also protip: only yachties say ahoy
                        Go out, do stuff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                          Also protip: only yachties say ahoy
                          and Captain Birdseye...
                          io parlo morse

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                            First of all, welcome ro the forum and good luck with the course.

                            Try the BBC website learning section and have a look at the GCSE maths revision info on there.

                            Also protip: only yachties say ahoy
                            Thanks Clanky! I'll be sure to introduce myself to any future crew in the proper manner.....don't want a slap on the chops on first joining a ship

                            Endure - Must have picked it up from Mr Birdseye himself....fish fingers as a bairn and all that!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The MSSC Maths Course is good - but don't worry all you need to do is Add/Subtract/Divide/Multiple and shift a few things around. The should be plenty of help.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X