Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] Merchant Navy Jacket Buttons

Hey'oh chaps.

Been poking about the forums un-registered and decided to sign up and see what all the fuss is about

Anyways, I have been having a hell of a time trying to find Merchant Navy (UK) jacket buttons on their own, in the (likely) event of losing one on my jacket.

That, (I know this will be a tetchy one and all) but I've eyed myself up an ex-police jacket/tunic whatever you want to call it http://www.anchorsupplies.com/police...ice-tunic.html and the idea of attaching MN buttons to it really appeals to me- add some variation to my uniform, and everyone else's. However you wish to call it.

I have come accross MN buttons. However there appears to be 2 different sizes! Possibly also recommend size of buttons overall- jacket front, pockets and lapels e.t.c?
    https://www.ecsnaith.com/mn-anodised...-37-ligne.html
    https://www.ecsnaith.com/mn-anodised...-26-ligne.html

Anyways, keep things short. If you guys know of a place which can do MN buttons to act as 'replacement' or 'standby' that would be grand and greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController
    First of all, I'm not Scottish! I'm Drunk!

Back in the 1400s you got a set of buttons and epaulettes that were unique to the company you worked for. If you worked for BP (for example) you got a cap badge, stripes and buttons that had the BP crest on them.
    io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Nicoll View Post
      Hey'oh chaps.

Been poking about the forums un-registered and decided to sign up and see what all the fuss is about

Anyways, I have been having a hell of a time trying to find Merchant Navy (UK) jacket buttons on their own, in the (likely) event of losing one on my jacket.

That, (I know this will be a tetchy one and all) but I've eyed myself up an ex-police jacket/tunic whatever you want to call it http://www.anchorsupplies.com/police...ice-tunic.html and the idea of attaching MN buttons to it really appeals to me- add some variation to my uniform, and everyone else's. However you wish to call it.

I have come accross MN buttons. However there appears to be 2 different sizes! Possibly also recommend size of buttons overall- jacket front, pockets and lapels e.t.c?
      https://www.ecsnaith.com/mn-anodised...-37-ligne.html
      https://www.ecsnaith.com/mn-anodised...-26-ligne.html

Anyways, keep things short. If you guys know of a place which can do MN buttons to act as 'replacement' or 'standby' that would be grand and greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
      Phone Miller Rayner in southampton they'll post them to you - or pop in and see them.
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Since when do we need jackets? Let alone jacket buttons?

Comment

Originally posted by JSTORM View Post
          Since when do we need jackets? Let alone jacket buttons?
          Those of us working with certain companies require them.
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

alistairuk, I will likely do that in the coming weeks if nothing comes from my searches of that place called the internet. Ghastly place XD

JSTORM, I'm quite the sucker for uniform. I'll be honest. But it's just something formal to wear in the event of being invited to the company's offices, or because a shirt/jumper just wont do haha- as well as a damnside cheaper option than forking out ?120 for a jacket, which I can get of the same quality for ?7.50- minus buttons of course.
            "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController

Comment

If you pitch up to a shipping office as an aspiring cadet wearing full fig you will be under surveillance for ever more.

If they ask you why you want a cadetship 'I like wearing uniform' is right up there with 'I want to see the world'.
              io parlo morse

Comment

I'm already aware of that endure.

Just to clear things, I have currently been offered, and have accepted, the offer of cadetship with a company (Pritchard-Gordon Tankers). Just put up the 'aspiring deck cadet' for the time being until September. Because, at this moment. I'm not a Deck Cadet. Yet

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to blunt your enthusiasm
                  io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                    Sorry I didn't mean to blunt your enthusiasm
                    Takes a lot to 'blunt' me, my dear friend.

Comment

You can have the benfit of my button experience. You may find some on eBay. I did extensive searches for MN button in mini sizes for the MN Bears uniforms, a few years ago and kept finding adult ordinary sized ones.
                      Depending on what the jackets is like and what buttons you get you might need to buy retaining clips so they can be removed to clean them and or the jacket. Motorbike brake pad retaining clips which you can buy in packs of ten work fine if they are not supplied with the buttons.
                      Also be careful you don't buy RN ones as they are different to MN ones.

Comment

Found the buggers on Miller Rayner as suggested!

Those who are in the same boat, see here: http://millerrayneronline.co.uk/prod...d-Buttons.html
                        Had to do some digging around. But looks like my search is complete

Comment

Pritchard Gordon attire is more likely to be Guantanamo orgage overalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Pritchard Gordon attire is more likely to be Guantanamo orgage overalls.
                            Some of us are quite fond of Guantanamo Orange...

Comment

Oh yes we love Guantanamo orange 😉
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X