Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to England in search of work ?

Hi all,

I am considering moving to England in search of work as an OOW, as I haven't been able to get a job here in NZ.

What is the job market currently like in England/UK or surrounding areas.

I have 16 months experience as a Cadet on a mix of Ro-Pax ships operating on the Cook Strait and one contract on a cruise ship.

I hold an OOW unlimited license with a basic oil and chemical tanker endorsement.

I've tried applying for jobs in Europe, but believe my location is heavily impacting my current chances.

Hoping to receive some useful feedback.

NZKiwi.

Hello,

I believe you'd probably secure work on UK ROPAX as the companies tend to favour those with experience on ROPAX, some of the guys I knew from P&O Ferries went out to join the ferries on the Cook Strait with relative ease so I'm assuming it's as easy in reverse.

I believe you'd have to apply for a CeC. NZ is on the list whereby you can just apply for a UK ticket and receive it - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...ineer-officers

I will private message you a contact who (assuming he's still working there) is in charge of an agency manning P&O Ferries ships, if anything he can give advice, hopefully he can offer you some kind of work to try out in the coming months.

I'd say approaching the companies direct is probably a waste of time here, as they tend to man through agencies then offer jobs to the agency staff they like but some of the UK ROPAX companies that would be of interest to you are: P&O Ferries, Stena Ferries, DFDS, Red Funnel, Wightlink, Cal Mac, Northlink, Irish Ferries and Condor Ferries. They all favour UK based officers, so would be your best chance if and when you move over here.

Good luck, feel free to message me any questions.

Comment

Working...
    X