Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age!

Hi All,

I am looking to apply as a Deck Cadet for the September 2016 intake, however, I will be 32 by then. Would this go against me in the selection process? Is age a big factor for companies?

Matt,

Companies do NOT discriminate on the basis of age, and 32 is not the oldest application by a long way. Can I ask why you are not applying for September 2015 intake? Or have you already applied and been knocked back? If you have applied and been knocked back have you thought to ask the companies you have applied to for the reasons for the knock back? It will definitely NOT be your age.

Hope this helps,

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Matt,

Just looked at your posts, and it seems you have been posting on here for a number of years and have made a number of applications to different companies. What has their feedback been?

Ian
      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Not another question about age??! Use the search function.
        'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Ian,

I applied a couple of years ago and had a knock back because of my maths grade. I have since achieved my GCSE C grade , however I am doing night classes again to try and achieve a B grade which I hope will give me a much better chance of selection. I have worked in the marine industry for a while, so I have some experience there, I just hope the maths was the only thing holding me back!
          Oh and Blondie, I did search first!

Comment

And I thought I had missed the deadline for September 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt1984 View Post
              And I thought I had missed the deadline for September 2015?
              See Hatchorders post http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...ill-recruiting
              Lots are just opening their recruitment now. Keep an eye on the comments thread too for up dates.

Comment

Cheers midge

Comment

Working...
                X