[INFO] 6-6-2010 Forum Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] 6-6-2010 Forum Upgrade

Today we have made a few changes to the forum as you know it.

Gone, temporarily, is the home page, replaced with a redirect to our forum. If you are looking to get to the Wiki there is a link in the bar above.

The strapline, subheading, has been removed, and we will be looking for inspiration on something catchy on that front.

Finally you may notice the google ads banner, these will be replaced in future with our own banners, so if you know any companies that may want to advertise give them a shout.

Hope you like the new look, all feedback welcome!
    Forum Admin

Re: 6-6-2010 Forum Upgrade

Loving the new look, Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by The H
      The strapline, subheading, has been removed, and we will be looking for inspiration on something catchy on that front.
      Less is more I spoze.

I quite like changing things regularly... so cycling images and straplines might be agreeable.

Depends what kind of image you want to project. I prefer something tongue in cheek (but safe for work), as this is not a corporate site, and needs to project some informality whilst maintaining credibility.

Minutes of fun can be had by inserting the title into this little gem:
      http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cg...=officer+cadet
      Much more amusing if you do this:
      http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=penis
      ...how we laughed

I think the logo is suffering in it's current horizontal offset and with the background. The solution would be to add a white background "name plate" the shape of Saturn/Tube to accomodate the words as well as the image. But I do like the colour scheme and gloss.
      Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Well the new look is certainly quite different and it certainly makes the place look smarter.
        Speaking of the logo, to be a complete pedant the cap featured is not the correct British design uniform cap, nor does it sport a recognised cap badge - what you have used is the MN blazer badge.

Comment

Well MS, I took a pic of the only seafarer hat I could find (it was American); then I took the MN badge, and a I meticulously mealded them together. Maybe it's better?! The thing was I knew it would be barely visible, so I wanted to keep it simple and obviously symbolic. The main factor is that there are no free images to do much else with!
          Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

The site is still in early stages, so alot can be tweaked any altered as membership increases..
            Forum Admin

Comment

The American caps have that bit of gold as the decorative chinstrap in typically gawdy Western Atlantic fashion.
              There are some not bad photos on the Miller Rayner site of MN uniform.
              http://www.miller-rayner.co.uk/index.php

Comment

So any problems with any of the site features for anyone?
                Forum Admin

Comment

The only thing I'm getting is that the colour gradient on the right hand side seems to load slower than the rest of the site, but nothing major!
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I think that may be to do with the white (centre) bit resizing..
                    Forum Admin

Comment

Working...
                    X