Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible!

Hi everyone,

We are suffering a few problems at the moment as numpties have hacked the site and taken down the Homepage and the Forum Homepage.

As soon as CD can get onto it we will get it sorted. In the meantime bear with us and thank you for letting us know Midge.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Why would any one wanna hack this site...

Comment

Because they can, because they think they can justify it, because they are just exposing loopholes in software - having spent many years working in the antivirus and security industry I heard every excuse in the book.

The one thing I do know though is that when I achieve something I can tell other people about it and not have to hide. These hackers and virus writers can do all they like but at the end of the day they have to stay secret and hidden away because to expose themselves would lead to prosecution. The guy who wrote the "Lovebug " virus can be smug to himself with what he achieved but he could not put it on a CV or use it to help him in any future employment. The one rule I had was that anyone in my security team could never have been on the darkside of secuirty because we had to trust them to put them into organisations to be "white hat" hackers.

If you identify a loophole in software you notify the developer and give them time to fix the exploit BEFORE you go public.

Personally they are the scum of the earth in my eyes.

Ian
      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I believe however that this site was targeted for a specific reason. As you may or may not of seen the hacker 'security dragon' clearly seemed to be a Syrian who is pro government and Pro Assad with all the propaganda that was posted.

Therefor i believe he/she/them have a certain resentment towards the British and more specifically the British armed forces. I think due to the nature of the site and the fact it has the word officer in the domain and lots of pictures of pretty ships they may have mistaken this site for a Royal Navy forum.

Not that i am condoning in any way the actions- just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawf121 View Post
          I believe however that this site was targeted for a specific reason. As you may or may not of seen the hacker 'security dragon' clearly seemed to be a Syrian who is pro government and Pro Assad with all the propaganda that was posted.

Therefor i believe he/she/them have a certain resentment towards the British and more specifically the British armed forces. I think due to the nature of the site and the fact it has the word officer in the domain and lots of pictures of pretty ships they may have mistaken this site for a Royal Navy forum.

Not that i am condoning in any way the actions- just my 2 cents worth.
          I doubt it. They've hit other forums that I know of that have no connection to Britain or the Military in any way.

However, we do now have a poll on who hacked us....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

List of who they've hacked:
            http://www.zone-h.org/archive/notifi...2520DR%2540G0N
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

That's a lot of folks...
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Well, it certainly added an element of surprise to my morning ritual.

Comment

Most likely random, just exploiting the vulnerabilties within Forum/vBulletin to widely publish his political message.

Comment

Working...
                  X