We're hiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're hiring!

So we're hiring, but there's no money involved. Just to clarify. You might get a pint at some stage, but even some of our current mods haven't got that yet (sorry! I promise, when I see you!)

We're looking for a new moderator. Maybe two, we'll see how it goes. Why? Because I have orals in two months and a lot of assignments to do, and because a lot of the current mod team will be at sea for the next few months.

So, the job description is pretty all-encompassing. You need to be friendly and be genuinely interested in helping us keep the site as a friendly, comfortable place to chat and find information. You need to have good availability (i.e. be on land or at sea with good internet access) at least until December. You need to be reasonably computer literate (nothing fancy, just being able to find your way around the editing/deleting tools).

What you get in return? My eternal love and appreciation, for one. A chance to shape what the site is and what it becomes. The great feeling that comes with being involved in a site that's now recognised in many corners of the industry. And a pint. Maybe. If you can catch me.

Fancy applying? Just reply to this post with a few words on why you think you should be Sir Alan's next app... eh... our new moderator. Nominations also accepted, as long as you say why you're nominating that person and they reply accepting your nomination.

Selection will be by the current mod team taking into account member's opinions, post history, the amount of time we've seen your name in the who's online list in the last few months and your "marketing" post!
    Last edited by CharlieDelta; 4 September 2013, 05:19 PM.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Genuine interest in helping others through applications and specifically those who have had a harder time at it like myself as well as the wider spectrum of things. Got a wider knowledge in the maritime industry (studied naval architecture) And am here until the Jan 2014 intake!

Comment

Ooo ooo! Pick me! Pick me!

I'll be your friend! Honest! (Plus I do tend to have my more serious moments and work shoreside so check here pretty much each night and yes I am that sad....)
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Trust me, he is...

Comment

This is a genuine interest of mine and think this is a great opportunity. I'm available when you want as I'm doing the precadet course at South Tyneside College. I have a genuine interest in things like this and would like to assist people with how I've got to where I am now.
          Phase 2 Cadet
          Evergreen Marine (UK) Ltd.
          South Shields Marine School

Comment

I'll do it. Long time member and I do read pretty much all the posts on here, although I have only started posting more in the last few months due to completion of my cadetship. Will also probably be around for the next few months so plenty free time to do it!

Comment

Why do you need to be on land? Am happy to help but am at sea till end of the month. If it's just an internet access thing am at sea but internet is pretty good am on here everyday. According to firefox it's my most visited website -sad I know :P

Comment

Being on land's not a *must* have as long as you have good internet.
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  Ooo ooo! Pick me! Pick me!

I'll be your friend! Honest! (Plus I do tend to have my more serious moments and work shoreside so check here pretty much each night and yes I am that sad....)
                  I thought you were one already.

Comment

When I grow up I'd like to be a mod
                    'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

We're hiring!

I'm on land until April next year at least, not got my next ship yet. I know my way roughly around moderating a forum, try to help when I can and check the forums daily.

Comment

I'm normally on when I come off watch at 4am if you need somebody for the night shift :P

Comment

I am away on Holiday at the moment but just read a few threads and came across this one.

I have helped set up and mod both a forum and a chat room in the past, so if you feel you do not get the right sort of approaches from other people I would volunteer to be a mod. I know most of the stuff about squirrelmail (if you use that) and can remember most of my mod hat stuff about splitting threads, merging threads etc....

If you have plenty of offers from more appropriate members and they are more desperate to do it though, I will quite happily move to the back of the classroom and sit quietly and flick bits of paper at Guinnessman with my ruler. (Who also gets my vote for Mod - I have said it before)

Ian
                          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

I vote this guy... even though my vote doesnt count....

​i still vote this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                              I am away on Holiday at the moment but just read a few threads and came across this one.

I have helped set up and mod both a forum and a chat room in the past, so if you feel you do not get the right sort of approaches from other people I would volunteer to be a mod. I know most of the stuff about squirrelmail (if you use that) and can remember most of my mod hat stuff about splitting threads, merging threads etc....

If you have plenty of offers from more appropriate members and they are more desperate to do it though, I will quite happily move to the back of the classroom and sit quietly and flick bits of paper at Guinnessman with my ruler. (Who also gets my vote for Mod - I have said it before)

Ian
                              I'd vote for you!
                              Three monkeys escaped from the zoo. One was caught watching TV, the other playing football, and the third one was caught reading this quote!

All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not represent those of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X