Usernames and anonymous posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usernames and anonymous posting

I didn't relize anonymity was encouraged, I thought it was more of a personal preference thing.

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    I didn't relize anonymity was encouraged, I thought it was more of a personal preference thing.
    I think most people here see it as a way to be able to speak our minds without potentially embarrassing our employers or on the odd accasion enabling us to speak our minds about our employers without them knowing who we are and taking action against us.

If you openly connect yourself with your employer online and you then express views which would embarass your employer they are within their rights to take disciplinary action, that is why it is best to not be identifiable on line. It would be fairly difficult for anyone other than a few who I choose to connect with as both clanky and my "real" on-line persona to connect clanky with me. That way even if my employer did somehow manage to figure out that a post by clanky was actually me, then they would be hard pressed to show that it had caused them embarrasment as clanky does not obviously work for them.
    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Aye, what clanky said, though the big blue canoe company has some guidelines so you can use social media, but they also encourage open debate so long as it's "constructive" oh and legal (note:- no requirement to be ONLY positive etc)

They know who I am, I know they wander in here occasionally but I CHOSE for that to be the case. However I can cause enough mayhem in real life without them needing to worry about on-line too *looks for a fire extinguisher*
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        Aye, what clanky said, though the big blue canoe company has some guidelines so you can use social media, but they also encourage open debate so long as it's "constructive" oh and legal (note:- no requirement to be ONLY positive etc)
        The guidelines we got also said we shouldn't post anonymously, but I interpret that usernames are ok etc. Not entirely sure why anonymous posting is discouraged but oh well

Comment

We like people to register, and recommend not using your real name, as then you/we can see who posted what, but you can't (in theory) look people up on facebook etc. The anonymous forum is for when folk don't wish to be identified in any way, as generally after a while we all know who you work for, etc, sometimes you want to ask a question or say something without that association. But generally, for day to day stuff, being registered with a username is better.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

As above. It's really up to you but it's generally best to keep some "mystery" about you!

On the other hand, you wouldn't believe how many people think my name is actually Charlie despite my real name being in my signature.
            sigpic
            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Working...
            X