Your Ideas - Promoting the Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Ideas - Promoting the Site

Got a good idea? Let us know! Best one gets a gold star.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Re: Your Ideas - Promoting the Site

Oh, apart from persuading cadets in the communal showers to join - Randomist is quite keen on keeping that task to himself.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

DAMN YOU!!!!
      I would only consider it if I could join in the Ladies communal showers

....On a serious note, how about an arcade?

Much arcade software now allows users to win trophies and display them on their profiles/next to their names. v3 arcade is a good one for the vBulletin forums, I notice this is a phpBB so not sure where the best place is to get one for this design. I've ony been on vBulletin ones before.

To boldly go.....
      Forum Administrator
      OfficerCadet.com

Comment

See about getting an article in one of the union publications?

Comment

Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much. Haha! Yes we'll leave that one to you.

Not demanding are you? Chatroom, arcade etc... *adds them all to to-do list*.

Kayak, good idea about the union publications, I might see if I can get in touch with them.

Promotion is quite difficult - we have like 300 members in the Facebook group but only just under 200 here. I may send outa nagging PM/email to the lurkers to encourage a bit of posting.

We started in March, and have grown really quickly, mainly through shameless
          spamming on Facebook and Bebo. We seem to be on a bit of a plateau now which has me flummoxed. I know when sea phases start/end there'll be a bit of a change in who's posting and how
          many are joining.
          sigpic

Comment

Relax... I wouldn't keep sending loads of nagging facebook e-mails, it could turn people off.

This is exam time for a lot of people... & then summer... it's not realistic to have loads of new joiners at this point in the year.
            It's more realistic to get people joining in the Autumn as the new term starts and there's less reason to go out because of the short days and ****e weather.

The growth rate is fine.
            There's point having loads of inactive members; but you want active ones really.
            There's a limit to how many people are going to visit just for "fun", you need useful content that makes people return... that needs research.

The main focus over the summer should be developing content; not nagging people to join before the content is there.

The site needs active members who are willing to donate time to develop meaningful content.
            The forum works as it is; now you need to add other features that will attract regular visitors.
            If you can't get the majority of your members to post on the forum, then you need to find out what they come online for, and see if you can find something that will passively (not aggressively) draw more frequent visits.

People who post on forums fall into a few specific demographic types. There are (as you can see) many others who like visiting sites, but who are not interested in posting.

I think the stuff that helps is:
            wiki - if it's full, then it will draw visits from people, you need committed trainspotters to build the detail
            multimedia - the photos and videos of MN things that you can't get elsewhere is good content
            blogs - need news to channel and rant about, that takes some commitment

anything else - chuck it in - lets have some brainstorming...

I'm not entirely convinced about the chatroom and ebay and arcade games things, but I don't object to trying anything out.

Needless to say, I think the focus needs to shift away from worrying about recruiting more people to building content beyond the forum.

discuss...
            Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Any more ideas anyone?
              sigpic

Comment

I found this place using google, so you could get more members through web search optimisation. There's a lot of info on the web about it.

Comment

Similar to Kayak's idea, how about seeing if the likes of SSTG, Clyde etc would put a link and/or advert on their sites?

Posters to put up in colleges? That requires money though for printing.

Comment

Originally posted by ManMountain
                    I found this place using google, so you could get more members through web search optimisation. There's a lot of info on the web about it.
                    SEO can be quite a challenge on a forum with ever-changing content. But definitely something we're researching. Google has us indexed to an extent, but it will take some time for us to get fully established.

Originally posted by Andy S
                    Similar to Kayak's idea, how about seeing if the likes of SSTG, Clyde etc would put a link and/or advert on their sites?
                    That would be great but somehow I don't see it happening.

Originally posted by Andy S
                    Posters to put up in colleges? That requires money though for printing.
                    I've thought about this too but the questions are:

- Would the colleges approve?
                    - Would people be willing to get them put up?
                    sigpic

Comment

How about starting the officercadet.com peer award to be given to the cadet which has worked hardest to support their colleagues in their studies and promote a positive public image of the cadetship scheme? Nominations could come from across all of the colleges and voting for the award could take place on this site....

Comment

Originally posted by steamer
                        How about starting the officercadet.com peer award to be given to the cadet which has worked hardest to support their colleagues in their studies and promote a positive public image of the cadetship scheme? Nominations could come from across all of the colleges and voting for the award could take place on this site....
                        If you get vBulletin, you can have "karma" points, which would do a similar thing.
                        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

I'm afraid to say that my sick and twisted mind came up with this option first. (after I had discovered these marvellously inappropriate smileys).
                          :140: :81: :8: :9: :0:

But none of this:
                          You can trust me,
                          I'm a doctor.

Comment

I demand male models too in that case! and neither nor :6: counts!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Then it should be in a clearly marked seperate area, (the Navy has got a reputation with the ilinformed, uneducated masses)>
                              You can trust me,
                              I'm a doctor.

Comment

Working...
                              X