Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blogs and Articles

Hi all,

You might have noticed the articles section has been looking a bit forlorn lately.

Part of the problem has been our blog-link-up-system, which has a mind of its own and rather than just syndicating blogs it posts things over and over and over and over. The other problem is a lack of new articles.

So, few questions:

1) Do you actually find the articles section useful, or do you just come for the forum?
    2) Are there any particular articles you'd like to see?
    3) Would you like feature articles (i.e. the ones that are always relevant, like what to take to sea), news articles or both?
    4) How should we incorporate blogs? Just a page with links to different blogs? Or should we incorporate them more into the forum/articles section to "aggregate" a variety of maritime blogs?
    5) If you have a blog that we link to, or that you'd like us to link to, I'm particularly interested in your opinions about how we use your content.

Ideas are always welcome! We have a good steady stream of visitors and the core of what we do - the forum - is doing well. But I'm always looking for ways to engage more people.

Chris
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

1) Do you actually find the articles section useful, or do you just come for the forum?
    The articles are useful I think, especially for myself as I did not know much about the Merchant Navy before I had applied and felt the articles were a big help! Even when I am a cadet I think they will still come in handy. (What to take and Joining Ship ones for example)

Not that I can think of! Will edit the post if I think of anything!

3) Would you like feature articles (i.e. the ones that are always relevant, like what to take to sea), news articles or both?
    Both, I think all the articles are interesting and it also gives the site more content if both are done.

4) How should we incorporate blogs? Just a page with links to different blogs? Or should we incorporate them more into the forum/articles section to "aggregate" a variety of maritime blogs?
    A page with links to different blogs. Instead of the blog summary that is included right now I think the info that should be shown is Engine or Deck and Cadet (With phase number) or Officer. This would suffice I think as the summary is included on the sidebar of the blog the last time I checked.

5) If you have a blog that we link to, or that you'd like us to link to, I'm particularly interested in your opinions about how we use your content.
    I started a blog in January if you would like to link to it. It begins just after I had a successful interview. (Hopeful Engine cadet!)

Maybe there could be like a featured blog of the month or something? Like if someone has created a post that is quite insightful or just generally interesting then it could featured somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post

Chris
      I think the Articles section needs changing. It is extremely useful but could be split into sections such as application process, going to sea, college phases, or similar. Also remove all the comments. By all means have a link to a forum thread for each article so people can contribute or comment but keep the articles clean. You can also fit more article titles to a page if you get rid of photos and cleaned up the introductions.

I get so many requests for help on CV's and personal profiles that I am going to write an article on that for you when I get time.

I think you should keep news articles seperate.

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
      How should we incorporate blogs? Just a page with links to different blogs? Or should we incorporate them more into the forum/articles section to "aggregate" a variety of maritime blogs?

Chris
      I think you should link to blogs as a seperate page, so people can go off and find a favourite blog to follow, rather than posting to individual blogs from each person. Don't forget that people can go long periods without posting to their blogs so having links to each persons blog will keep it simpler for you to manage.

Ian
      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Working...
      X