Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pleasant news!

Hi all,

You may have seen it already, but we're pleased to report that the MNTB (via the Careers at Sea Facebook page) have lots of nice things to say about OfficerCadet.com and have recommended us to their Facebook followers. We're so happy that we've come from very little in 2010 to possibly the place to go on the web for cadets in just under two years. Check out their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/careersatsea

Personally, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for joining the site, supporting us and spreading the word. Remember to keep spreading it! Also a huge thanks is due to the administrators and moderators who do so much work that is often unseen, and who are always floating about and looking after things when I'm away. Without them giving their time we would have died a bit of a death when I went to sea! Apart from that, their technical knowledge, ideas and experiences have been so helpful, particularly when we've been figuring out how to take the site forward.

So keep posting, keep talking. Hopefully at some point every cadet in the country will have at least heard of the site, and those thinking about a career in the MN will come have a gander too.

Happy 2012!

CD

PS: The site's running extremely slow at the moment, as I'm sure you've noticed. This is due to a combination of much higher pageviews over the past weeks and issues with our database server. I have made an effort to minimise the demands on the database server, but much of the problem lies with our hosting company. I have taken the issue up with them and I'm hoping for a resolution soon. If not, we'll up sticks and head to a hosting company who can support us properly. Thanks for your continuing patience.
    Last edited by CharlieDelta; 10 January 2012, 04:38 PM.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

And I think I speak for every member of this site when I say thanks to you for creating this site!

Comment

Wow, I am very impressed! So, for those of us who have been here since 2010, do we get anything? Fancy hat? T-Shirt? Biscuit? Atta-boy?
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I might eventually give you a little badge under your name or something. :-p
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
          Dang it! No free beer or anything then?

I was actually thinking about cups / T-shirts / hats etc being made for the site with proceeds going towards the RNLI / Mission to Seafarers / Guild of Benevolence or something. What do you think?
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
            How about a gangway with 'plankwalker' written on it?

I know 'plankwalker' is a US Navy term but it seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
            "Crazy like wild wolves threatened by fire, send them all to the bottom of the sea."

Comment

Yay, less database queries are good in the long run because it will mean that the site will just get even faster... !

Good job everybody!
              Engine Cadet | Phase 5 @ Warsash Maritime Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Ducki52 View Post
                How about a gangway with 'plankwalker' written on it?

I know 'plankwalker' is a US Navy term but it seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
                I'd have thought 'plankowner' more appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                X