X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Update

Hi all,

The present incarnation of OfficerCadet has been around for around seven to eight years now. The forum software is no longer being developed, nor is the operating system on which the software runs.

I've got a licence for the new version of vBulletin and I've got a shiny new install of the latest operating system ready. I will be setting up to transfer over the next week or two (which may require some downtime, I will keep you posted).

This does give us the opportunity to change, tinker, play etc.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. It can be anything, from forum set-up to graphics to features. Anything at all.

We already know that we tend to catch people before they apply for cadetships and then tend to lose them after they start. How can we keep people coming back? (Though for those interested, our visitor numbers are higher than ever due to the wealth of information contained within the forums)

Thanks!

Chris
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Perhaps articles on the subjects people seem to find the most complicated, trying to put it in simple terms?

I find that understanding why I’m doing something and what effect it has is often half the battle in understanding what I’m being asked to do.

Sometimes explaining like I’m 5 is the best way to get the initial concept in.

Comment

A "night mode" would be nice, similar to twitter/reddit/YouTube.

The profile settings section could do with streamlining too, at the moment it seems like we have 1 and a half profiles each.
      Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Inland Pirate We've tried articles before but unfortunately they need people to write them! It's on the cards again though so we'll see how that goes.

MrStealth Night mode added to the list. What do you mean by the profiles?

Right, so, upgrade done, lots of lose ends to tie up but felt we needed to get the forum back up and running in some form and everything else can follow.

Please add any bugs or missing things you find here. I've got a list already but always helps!

Chris
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

Comment

I'd happily take a stab at some, but would probably almost certainly need fact checking on some topics.

Comment

Overall theme / feel is good.

- the
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
              Overall theme / feel is good.

- the
              I think you might have been cut off!
              sigpic

Comment

Oh all very glossy, I was lost wondering why there wasn

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                  Oh all very glossy, I was lost wondering why there wasn
                  Hmm I think you've been cut off mid post too, this is odd...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

sigpic

Comment

I think that maybe it

Comment

Depends if ther

Comment

A few things:

Lots of funny characters instead of commas, quotes etc.... Pound sign
                        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Something not right there..... got cut off at the pound sign
                          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

OK - keeps cutting posts off. Table on other link in middle of text cut off as well.

Comment

Apostrophe '''''''

Comment

Working...
                              X