Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly worried about Clyde

Now this is only something I heard from one person, but somebody told me the other day that Clyde Marine Training have taken on more cadets than they can really handle recently and if I accept my offer with them I may well end up as a berthed cadet (meaning that I'll not actually have a sponsoring company and they'll just stick me with whoever will have me for the sea phases), could anybody in the know tell me if there's any truth in this?
    ?...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head...?

- Primo Levi

technically they will be sticking you with whoever will have you regardless.
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Yeah I realise that, but I'd prefer it be with the same company throughout, who'll offer me a job afterwards, instead of sticking me with a few different places throughout the course then not having a job to show for the 3 years of training I'll have done.
      On that note, how easy or hard is it for newly qualified junior officers to get jobs with any company?
      ?...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head...?

- Primo Levi

Comment

Drop them an email and ask who you're being sponsored with. I got a response within a few days and overall ending with me not signing with them based on their response.

Comment

Just to play devils advocate here, training with multiple companies has its advantages: you get to work on different ship types with different operating environments and equipment, get experience of different onboard cultures and practices and potentially drum up a wider range of contacts with may come in useful at some point in your career. Also you'll end up with a better understanding of what ships you want to work on when qualified than you would have if you were only on one type of vessel for your whole cadetship.

However if you have your heart set on a specific trade or type of vessel then none of the above applies to you!

Good or luck with whatever you decide to do

PS to the OP: you're not posting anonymously, you need to log out of your account to do that. Disregard if that wasn't your intention.

Comment

This doesn't sound right to me, the way the sponsorship works would make what your describing pretty tricky for Clyde they'd end up having to pay out of their own pocket for all the cadets they didn't have sponsors for. Unless there's been a big change and they are becoming a sponsoring company in their own right but the only change I've heard with regards to Clyde recently is that they've been purchased by northern marine. Here's a total guess, It is possible that they've passed more people at the interview stage and due to a possible drop in sponsors looking to take on cadets they can't provide bearths for them, in which case it would be negligent for them to allow you to 'accept' your offer as such.

Comment

Originally posted by BenCam93 View Post
              On that note, how easy or hard is it for newly qualified junior officers to get jobs with any company?
              Pretty difficult at the moment by the sounds of things on here and from speaking to friends in the industry. I know quite a few people that have really struggled to get jobs post qualification and some who've left the industry altogether as a result.

More chance of a job by steering clear of agencies such as Clyde and going direct to specific companies who do their own in house recruitment such as a lot of the cruise lines and oil majors. If you do a search on here you'll find a lot of chat on the subject as it comes up regularly.

Comment

Made me wonder if it's the smart funding that may be causing issues, it happened in 2012 if companies don't know how much money they are getting their are inbetween a rock and hard place take on cadets with no money to cover the costs.
                So far I haven't seen any new notices on the MCA website with the new funding. Old one finished end of March. I recall newbie mentioning something about smart plus, supposed to be able to help those post qualification in getting seatime/job, but again no details seem to have surfaced.
                Any sponsors recruiters able to enlighten or are you all still waiting? Guess change of minsters new PM and brexit isn't helping with any of this at all. I know last time it was raised they were hoping it would be sorted out sooner this time, 2012 it was 31st August before it was, fast approaching the same date this time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X