Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on pulling out of the contract needed

Hello everyone. My predicament briefly : had the only offer from Clyde recently to start this september, accepted an offer, signed the agreement of the offer and sent it, was in the process to arrange all the necessary papers ( ENG1, seamen's book,police disclosure, etc), but haven't sent them yet.
    Today received an offer from another company ( which was my first choice). Can i pull out of the contract with Clyde and accept the other offer or am i legally bind now to Clyde? I have read somewhere on the forum that the contract comes in force on the first day of college, is that right?
    Or is it too late for me? I obviously do not want to find myself being forced to pay money back.
    Looking for advice on what is my best course of action in this situation, fast, as other company is waiting for my answer on accepting the offer, they offering september start as well.
    Please help!

My first two thoughts are what does it say on the paperwork you signed (does it mention termination of contract and any repercussions of this) and secondly have they paid for anything yet such as ENG etc.

If agreement is not binding and they haven't paid for anything then go for it - but send Clyde a nice email explaining situation and apologise.
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

No, they haven't paid for anything. Trying to go through the papers to understand the small print, it's a mind field! Sure would communicate with Clyde asap after knowing where i stand.

Comment

If you've signed by the agreement then you're bound by it. Better get reading...
        io parlo morse

Comment

Do you have a copy of the signed contract? from memory you sign it and send it back for them and the sponsor to sign it. technically if you tell them before they have both signed it there isn't anything finished.
          ultimately your going to have to contact them and see what they say
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

yes, it is just me who signed it only, not a sponsor, it is not finished , the commencing date of agreement left blank to be signed by Clyde, i presume when college starts and sponsor found

Comment

Read through my copy of the contract yet again, all the references in regards to termination of contract mentioned are during studying in the college, and the course has not started yet. So i think i should be on the safe side, hopefully

Comment

What's the company that have gave you another offer?
                ?...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head...?

- Primo Levi

Comment

I will PM you, Ben

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X